Tuesday, January 27, 2009

An era of decadence....

I forgot to take a picture of these two lamps yesterday, they were part of my junkin' foray the other day. One is alabaster and the other marble, but what a statement with a beautiful shade crowning it's glory.
And just look how a setting is created with the feminine grace of the fringed shade. I did many with matching drapery fabric for customers.

Fun settings of an era long past, but never forgotten, a time when electricity was just coming into fashion and the wonderful, flamboyant Victorians were filling their homes with decadent splashes of color. The thing is, when you see these vintage shades for sale in antique shops, they are all faded tans and browns, when in actuality, they were robins egg blue, fuchsia pink and many other brilliant colors, to brighten many otherwise dull living spaces. All faded into memory until you start tearing them apart and see the remnants of their colorful past lives.



Fifteen years ago I started a hobby sewing Victorian lampshades...mind you, I hate to sew, it's just one of those things that wasn't instant gratification to me, so I never liked it, however sewing these shades was something I rather enjoyed. Not an easy feat by any means, but what a product to add to your home when you are truly addicted to the past.


Many a shade passed through my shop/home back in those days and like everything else, every other entrepreneur started making shades in my lil' burg. But everyone has their own style, like my friend Cathie, whose shades I adore. Cathie has a flamboyant style all her own and they are perfectly fitting for her darling turn of the century cottage she and her partner Bill share.
Cathie and I met on one of her junking forays to Muscatine. When she saw my shades in my shop, she introduced herself and said she made shades too...a solid friendship formed with this Sister of the soul. Maybe after reading this, Cathie will do a post on some of her wonderful shades...hint...hint...love ya girl!