Sunday, April 26, 2009

White...

I rarely do a post on Sunday because of Shadow Shot, but my friend Lorie sent me an article and I had to share it with you...

When I first strolled through the streets of Palo, I was struck by something...something tugged at my heartstrings, the thought of opening another shop was the farthest thing from my mind, at that time...but I thought of Lorie, my old partner in crime. Both of us had put the thought out of our minds, but Palo kept nagging at me...so I called Lorie and said you have to see this town.

Her reaction was the same as mine...love at first sight! We knew the town was recovering from near devastation from the flood of '08, but the will of the people to pull their town back was obvious all around...good ol' heartland mindset, strong-willed and determined...we both agreed, this would be our next venture.

Yes, we are doing this lil' building...as we sat in the truck conjuring our next move, a name has always been the first thing to get set, as we build on those bones. I suggested to Lorie that we name the shop 'White', because of all the thousands of pieces of furniture we've painted white over the years...she loved it...so it was set, 'White' was born that very moment in time.

What called us to this town, to this shop, to this name...there were other forces taking place that we were totally unaware of...as I read the article Lorie sent me the night before, chills rolled over my psyche...during the flood, the people of Palo were asked to hang white rags on their doors, or their fences or where ever to let the rescuers know that the families had been relocated and were safe...

Now, I don't know about you, but to me this is a sign...a sign of a strong-willed community, neighbor helping neighbor, rebuilding and starting anew...my kinda place...it all made perfect sense from that point on, as Lorie and I take that plunge again for something we love...JUNKIN!

But it's about helping friends and about family...you can't get much more American then that...right!


So please read the article below, but grab a box of Kleenex, trust me on that one...you will totally see where we're coming from AND be ready for another blog to drool over. As Spring blossoms, so will we and Palo will rise again!