Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Got the munchies...

With all the cold weather and frosty mornings we had
this spring, I didn't think my lettuce and radishes
would ever sprout, but now I'm munching(grazing)
every morning...yummm...

and we are all anxious to eat these beauties,
even though some of my tomato plants got frostbite,
they are looking pretty good so far.

I had to mulch and fence in the bean patch yesterday,
those pesky wabbits...the frosts and cold weather
really slowed the strawberries too...

I think I'm cultivating more chicken wire than anything...
I'm planting more beans today, they'll soak
overnight, then I inoculate them with nitrogen,
before poking into the ground,
but the bunnies have been hard on them...
let's not even talk about the frosts we had...

Been eating broccoli for a couple of weeks now,
the snow peas are starting to blossom, Brussel's sprouts
are lookin' good and the beets are up 4 inches ...

Had to re-fence the cabbages...did I mention the
pesky wabbits...

See all that mowed grass just beyond the squash n zucchini,
that is all future garden...
little by little I'll get it all plowed up for my ever-expanding
salad bowl, this is what I live for every year,
the weather can be a real bugger at times,
but that's the way of it in the Heartlund...
feast or famine, the hot humid nights have arrived,
FINALLY
and we can all sit back and wait, salt shaker in hand...

Just wait till I find the first egg...
listen for the squeal...it's me(not the hen)!!!

Note to self...
clean out the mini-coop today, boy,
is the compost pile gonna heat up now...ha!