Monday, May 31, 2010

Never Forget...





.....
Please don't be offended by this but the American flag in your final picture in honor of Memorial Day needs to be respectfully retired. One of my biggest pet peeves is shabby American Flags. It is not an honor to display a tattered, faded, fraying, etc. flag. It is the symbol of all we hold dear in this country and needs to be as pristine as possible. Your local chapter of the VFW or DAV usually has a ceremony at least a couple times a year to retire worn flags with honor. Have a wonderful Memorial Day.


This was a comment on my blog yesterday and I feel that I must defend...and please Nank, do not be offended by my comment.

I am an antique dealer, I have many old things in my stores, a respect and love for the old things of my country are reflected in those stores.
I personally own 4 vintage American flags, I love AND RESPECT each and every one of them, none of them are for sale...they are mine to cherish and display the honor that they hold dear to me...
AMERICA... my land of the free...

I am not a warrior, I have never fought in service to any war or madmen, I deeply oppose occupation of any lands and it's peoples, but I do honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice by displaying my vintage flags...to me it shows a respect that moves forward with the times, yet preserves a history of my fellow Americans gone before me.

What would Betsy Ross say to having her flag retired and shut away from all American eyes...
I will continue to display my old American flags and continue to tell everyone that wants to buy one of them, that they are not for sale...
and I am VERY proud to own them.

Everyone, have a wonderful American holiday and...

Never forget

PEACE


BTW...the flag in the first shot has been turned right side up, just not in this photo...so not to be alarmed vets...