Thursday, February 2, 2012

Far out man...

 Is this not to die for, a little blurry, but 
you get the idea...the hippie house...

 We had our first 'pads' back in the 60's,
a place to call home, to raise a few plants(hmmmm),
to worry if your draft number was up...
we wondered about our futures with the war
in Vietnam and questioned our love 
of the red, white and blue...

 We partied hard and played harder,
did you have a hippie van...we did.

 This soooo reminds me of Iowa City(university) in the 60's,
it was the best place to go partying, dancin' to reggae
or the Doors and Janis...
buying great hippie clothes at Things and Things...
and all the head shops!!!
(right Cathie Conz...)

 Admit it, you had moccasins too, huh...

 Those were crazy days for us in our 60's...
I still cry at the mention of Vietnam
and the senseless tragedies...m-m-my generation...
'The Who'
People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation) 
Just because we g-g-get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation) 
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation) 
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

 But my hippie, gypsy, free-spirited soul
will never forget growing up in the 60's...

 PEACE DUDE!!!

I still have my raggedy ol' red, white and blue...
and the memories...
(I never inhaled)

11 comments:

outjunking said...

Enjoyed the walk down memory lane.
Lisa

BABYLON SISTERS said...

love this post - had the moccasins!

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

Great post,it brought back lots of memories.

Those moccasins, yep I had some even here in NZ way downunder we were into those dresses, beads, moccasins and tassles....

Betty G said...

I STILL have my moccasins. Got them on right now. They are a comfort to wear for this old gal. :)

cconz said...

Yeap Sharon I remember,it was pretty colorful. Black lite posters the smell of incense. The only kind of pants you could buy we're bell bottoms and elephant pants.i. Really hated them. And still a favorite, macramé .
Great post.

Linda said...

What a great post!! Nice walk down memory lane and yes I had the mocs and wore them rain snow or shine!! LOL...I agree with you about Vietnam especially since the hubby is a Combat Vet from then and what he has suffered but boy I miss the free spirit and hope for something better...wish we could go back and recapture the good parts...and I inhaled..still do on occasion.....LOL

Georgina said...

Just spotted you over at "A Vintage Green Life," and I love your post. I just turned the big 6-0 and your post brought back so many memories. Yeppers, I had the shoes, the hair, the jewelry, the clothes, but not the van...my cousin had that and had a buddy who had a '66 Mustang convertible with "flower power" flowers all over it...loved that ride!!

My first love was killed in Nam back in '69 right before he was due back in the states...took a while to get over that one. Had many friends who went over there and I can't tell you how many times I had to bring my now ex-hubby home at night during his nightmares in the jungles.

Anyway, have a great weekend and looking forward to reading more.

Georgina

Paula Scott said...

Those were the days, my friend!
I would've liked to have had moccasins like that! And that paint job on the van-to die for.
Miss ya over at SSS...

Anonymous said...

I did'nt have a Van,but I did paint my car.The police kept pulling me over even though I had done nothing wrong,so one morning my Dad went out and spray painted over it.I admired hippies from afar, never brave enough to really be one!! Sylvia

Pretty Ragged Threads said...

Loved this post. Yes I had the moccasins and the bell bottom pants, loved Janis and the Grateful Dead. Brings back so many good memories and then there was Vietnam. A war for all the wrong reasons. Even so the old red, white and blue is the best.
Hugs Jackie

Bohemian said...

A Nostalgic Trip!

Dawn... The Bohemian