Monday, February 15, 2010

And what to my wondering eyes may appear...

Hoar Frost...






Radiation frost (also called hoar frost or hoarfrost) refers to the white ice crystals, loosely deposited on the ground or exposed objects, that form on cold clear nights when heat losses into the open skies cause objects to become colder than the surrounding air. A related effect is flood frost which occurs when air cooled by ground-level radiation losses travels downhill to form pockets of very cold air in depressions, valleys, and hollows. Hoar frost can form in these areas even when the air temperature a few feet above ground is well above freezing. Nonetheless the frost itself will be at or below the freezing temperature of water.

My trip to Sisters' Saturday, was a trip into magic land...
everything was covered in frost,
all the way to the shop I was greeted with Nature's spectacle
the entire trip...

yes, there is beauty in winter in Iowa...
you just have to see the true meaning of it!

14 comments:

dulcy said...

Beautiful shots! I'm so ready for spring, but it has been snowing off and on for the past couple of days, and it still feels like such a treat to watch is coming down......

High Desert Diva said...

Beautiful and I've always loved the term.

Anne at Fiona and Twig said...

What gorgeous images!
And is that your beautiful little pink farmhouse? I am positively in love with it!

So nice to discover your lovely blog!

Anne

Golden West said...

Beautiful, Sharon!

simplyiowa said...

It was a glorious day... John wanted me to take some pics, but my heart wasn't in it... I'm glad you did...
Barb C.

happily retired gal said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely photos and the explanation of 'hoar frost' for those like me who have read of it in books but never seen it first hand. Your world IS beautiful if a bit too cold for my taste.
Hugs and blessings,

willow said...

I always wondered what hoar frost was. Magical.

(10 more inches falling here. The manor will soon be completely covered.)

time-worn interiors said...

Great pictures! Girl, you so smart!! I only know about one kinda whore! Oh, you said hoar! LMAO! Anyway, the seat up here aint no better! Ha!
TOT

Lori R. said...

your shots are just amazing! Hi,,, we're bacccckkkk....

T said...

Never heard of that before. I'm a California girl. Only ski in the snow. What a beautiful sight from here!

Lauri Evans said...

Oh, Mistress of the Paint Brush, I so wanted to talk to you the other morning, but it was just too damn early. That is one of my flaws I just can't do early. Thank goodness Theresa doesn't mind. And you are right she is just the most generous thing. You can't say you like anything or its yours. I just love her. Don't you just love it when you meet someone and they just "get you"! I can't wait till we can get together. Oh and she told me about the P---- Princess. Too funny. Love ya, lauri

simplyiowa said...

Hey Sharon!
If you can't click on what I wrote, check out who I'm following... Liz is there... She doesn't even know I wrote about her, today... I just caught a glimps of what she is doing... I'm gonna tell her to take pics, as she goes... She is finding her legs... And I think I'm gonna like it!
Take care,
Barb C.

Sam said...

Stunningly wonderful photos! To me this looks like a winter wonderland!

Greyscale Territory said...

Love these photos because your winter world is one I don't know at all! Especially love your chateau of pink in the midst of a white wonderland! It looks like an enchanted cottage from a fairytale!