Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Curiouser and curiouser...

Sumthin' amok in the hen yard...
Hmmmmmm... 

Whilst mowing the grass the other day, I noticed an unusual amount of feathers in one location, could it be a predator...a chicken hawk...perhaps...or a neighbors cat or stray dog...
Louie....
 Turning off the mower, I ran to do a head count, the birds were right behind me, following the mower for bugs unveiled...all were accounted for!

But on closer inspection, Louis was looking rather ruffled, missing feathers for sure, even a couple of flight feathers were gone...I remember sitting at the grooming table and noticing the shadow of a large bird fly by, then it flew back the other way, I looked out the window hoping to see what it was...nuthin!!!

But then I heard a distress call from the hens, nuthin' unusual, I hear them all the time...guess next time I'll come a runnin', as red tail hawks abound in my neck o the woods...all in a day at the ranch!!!

7 comments:

Amish Stories said...

I was attacted a few times by a rooster, im not kidding,lol. Richard

Jane said...

Wow, so glad Louis lived to tell the tale. I guess everyone is trying to put on the winter weight, even the hawks. It is always something when you keep livestock.

Sandy Newkirk said...

Watch your chickens closeley, Sharon. Hannah came home to stay with Craig last Friday and her little 13# wire haired Irish Terrier disappeared into thin air. Fifteen people looked everywhere and not trace.Had to be something from overhead.

Anonymous said...

We have hawks here and boy are they fast!! I have to keep an eye out for my little Jack Russell. Boy she would give it a real fight but those claws are worse then teeth. So much for the lions and the lambs.....

kathy

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

Well done Louie to get away, get your gun out Sharon and get that hawk.

Sue said...

Well, sounds like someone has a chicken dinner on their mind. Better keep a good watch....

Tilda said...

i'm with nanna and poppaphil.... get the gun and do that hawk in.
a red tail swooped down in the hay field shortly after it was cut and tried to get Beu's cat. Gandolyn Rose jumped 3 feet in the air and high tailed it with her tail straight in the air to the house for safety. and the kids have a new puppy coming in 2 weeks. if it's not hawks here, it is coyote, fox, coons, and such. ah, country life !
Tilda