Friday, August 28, 2009

Works in motion...God willing and the creek don't rise...

The flash flooding in Cedar Rapids area(Palo), has subsided and rain has moved East, so now we'll have sun and hopefully things will dry out, mainly just water in basements, as the creek down the street from us leaves it's banks, but sump-pumps are running...as you recall, there were MAJOR floods last year in that area, so people are weary...I'll give an update after work on Saturday.

I have always loved the look of designer Carol Hicks Bolton and thought this chest would be the perfect toy to play with. She used vintage fabrics to cover furniture tops and the look really had appeal to me and the top wasn't in the best of shape, so I tacked on a piece of vintage velvet curtain to give it a funky look...sure, not for everyone, but it looks FAB in my lil' shack!

...next, this lil' parlor table will receive it's feed sack topping tacked on and stenciling of French lettering to give it that newly imported style so popular now...

...then this cute lil chair will receive it's feed sack cushion to match it's topper and the usual French lettering...and new projects emerge...and off to the shop...I love my job...right!!!

10 comments:

common ground said...

This is so cool. Love the velvet on top of the chest. I had to "bigify" the pic to get the full effect and on the little chair...great idea!
Debra

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

I love your job too! That's what I want to be when I grow up :) Have a great weekend, T

trash talk said...

She is my muse and a Texas girl to boot! I knew you and I were kindred spirits...this just proves it. That's the look I love. If I ever got the chance to meet her, I think I would wet myself like a puppy. I love the chest and can't wait to see the table top.
Trash

sarayutouched said...

very cool idea!! i like that alot!! i don't like my verification word tho...it's suckese! that doesn't not match your pics at all!
see ya tomorrow at sss!! and coffee!!!

Greyscale Territory said...

You are utterly amazing! What a brilliant way to present furniture!

Wish on a Whisker said...

Hi Sharon~ We've noticed all the rain up your way. Hate the flooding. I'll send good thoughts. Love what you're doing to the furniture! I have always loved Carol Bolton's style.

Chris said...

Hope that all is dry!

summersundays-jw said...

My sisters & I used to love to go to Fredricksburg TX to Carol Bolton's Homestead Shops. I remember walking into her white store & thought "this is what I love". I remember your fabic-covered furniture when we were in your shop & made a mental note to try it. Everything looks great. Jan

Tilda said...

Glad the rain left you, but now it's HERE! We are trying to get the split wood stacked into the wood shed, but it is now soaked AGAIN and we are not getting the 80 degree days and sunshine to dry it out. Yesterday the high was 61, and today we probably won't make that, and did I mention it is raining? oh yes, I think I did.
Tilda, the drenched

donna baker said...

Love the way the chest turned out.