Sunday, March 18, 2012

Experimenting with Mozart...

 OK, I read in Mother Earth News somewhere
 that if you string old video tape around
your flower beds you could keep your
 chickens at bay...in theory,
the rattling and movement of the tape
is supposed to distract them...

 As you can see the lil' boogers have
 roto tilled my hostas and lilies,
 but the stringing
of the tape looks promising...

 I just want to give the plants a little
 more time to get bigger before
 excavation begins...right...

 and they call them bird brains...

as they dust away over at my compost pit,
I work on more strategies to allow them
free range and not lose all my flower beds,
later...
I'm off to Menards to check out fencing,
just sayin'...

ps...when I got home from work,
the neighbors lab had wandered through
and plowed it all down...
Monday I call animal control, two years
 of her running the neighborhood is enough!!!

6 comments:

Tilda said...

i can see that the strung tapes are a serious deterent to the chickens! and more of a deterent to me, i would glance at the tape in a fleeting moment, think it was a snake and scare myself to death.
oh, the nuisance of chickens. the area farm places have baby chicks in now. i dare not even GO there, as the urge remains strong to bring them home. the coyotes however would never let them be.
so alas, i am not a chicken farmer. drats.
in fondest, tilda

Angela Bell said...

I remember my daughters rabbit getting out and eating my new herb patch. Good looking chickens tho!!!!

Kathy said...

My advice to you is to just plant MORE flowers! I've got a small flock of free range hens, and my strategy is to simply overwhelm them with abundance! Yes, they still scratch stuff up, and will eat any petunias within their reach, but despite that, my flower beds bloom on. I have used wire hanging planters, placed up side down over vulnerable plants until they get established. I must say that I find my hens to be well worth the hassle, especially my barred rocks. Yours are beautiful!

Leigh said...

You have been having your issues! Or your flower beds have. I would love to know of a good chicken deterrent. I have 4 foot goat fencing that doesn't keep them in. Wing clipping doesn't keep them in. The cat doesn't keep them in. *sigh*

cconz said...

HaHa i hope it works. It's so weird the things that work. To get Greta to shut up, I just have to put a hat on.

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

I hope it works too, and naughty dog, enough is enough...

Obviously the owners don't care, one of my work collegues has just lost her dog because it attacked neighbours sheep.