Friday, March 16, 2012

What's been on my mind...

Do you feel a movement coming on...
with all the crap we're learning about what's
in our foods, it makes me even more adamant 
about what I grow and what I cook.
It's a scary world out there today,
corruption everywhere,
 the only safe haven is home
and this is where my heart lies!

 My very own lil' hobby farm.
My dad has always told me to get rid of
 my shack, a headache he says, but I've
always known there was a greater purpose
to my folly. Have you seen the price
of farm ground in Iowa...WHEW...
glad I got my lil' 6 acres when I did!
I also heard something disturbing on
the Iowa Public Radio yesterday,
our children's generation (X)
could care less about the planet...
they don't recycle, they waste electricity
and water, they pollute in every way imaginable,
caring not what the next generation
will have to correct to survive.

 Remember the saying of my generation,
'give a hoot, don't polute'...
this has meant something to us and I'm glad to say
my grandson is developing those attitudes.
He knows how grim the future is,
 he's paying attention, he's becoming aware
 of the value of the front porch
and why I have my lil' pink shack
on my sandy 6 acres...
it's about piece of mind and future health.

 Many are jumping in and buying those
properties in the country to start their
hobby farms, it's a movement gaining
much momentum. Even at my age, the desire
to live in a serene atmosphere fills my
mind with daily chores of gardening
and egg gathering...and when to plant
them damned peas...huh Gayle!

 Our local farm store said that last year
there were record sales of chicks.
I love my lil' flock, it's made the connection
for me to start my hobby farm.
But living alone has it's drawbacks,
not to mention my escalating age of 62, but I
do what I can in my own time frame
and if it doesn't get done today,
there's always tomorrow!

 Just because I have 6 acres,
doesn't mean I'm farming it all, most is in
cedar trees and prairie grasses, my love of
a wild prairie for the wildlife is why I've
set aside most, not to mention sound barriers to
the 4-lane out my back door...
I just plant more tree rows, good for
the environment.

Hmmm, and where did our winter go...
we're all still weary of what may happen next,
but eternal spring still dwells in my heart!

10 comments:

Charade said...

Amen, Sister! And I hear you about our own kids. One cares, one doesn't - but the grandkids are all about being good stewards of the land and eating healthy foods.

Gayle said...

I'm happy to say that my grandson , in 3rd grade , has had a bit in school about recycling and is all over it. So there is some hope.
Dang! I wish I could tell you that my peas were 4'tall!!! But 2"isn't too bad!!
I love your little plot of farm and was amazed at what you harvested last year.

Birdie said...

Yes I too feel the movement. For me more folks are just coming around to my way of thinking. I've found a thirty something couple that live close by to share the burdens and the joy. Why tomorrow we're swapping seeds!
Great post!

Alicia Sotherland said...

yes indeed.. time to make all of our own Shangri-La's...

cconz said...

I have been feeling the movement. We have a big yard but, I hate veggies. I can't grow a pound bag of red licorice !!! Or a bag of totsitos but I can maybe make my own salsa.Ha Ha! I'm afraid I'm a junk food junkie. Tomatoes and cukes is all I like.
I do think that the little ones are getting it. Because they are being raised with it. There may be hope.

house things said...

Love this post!

donna baker said...

Yes dear Sharon, it is getting weird. I just ordered Euell Gibbons' STALKING THE WILD ASPARAGUS and have decided to start identifying edible wild plants around my farm. What is edible has all but been lost in the last 50 years and what little is now known is mainly wrong. For instance, I didn't know that you could make jam from the poke weed berries. Sumac berries can be used to make sumac lemonade and the mayapple fruit tastes lemony and can be eaten. On the other hand, your garden is just about the best one I have seen, and when the shit hits the fan, I'm coming to your house.

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

Well said, I have always grown some form of fresh veges and herbs. We are also very lucky to have cheap organic growers here in our area.

Anonymous said...

Well I have to say I salute you. I would love to live off my own land but in the end we'd either starve to death or have to spend more money buying the things that I tried to grow. I'm very lucky though, we have very talented people that are knowledgable about farming. I go to a place called Local Roots, it's in Wadsworth, Ohio. You should check out their website I think you enjoy reading it. I LOVE that place.

Kathy

fayettebelle said...

Wandering in. While I've lived most of my life on the west coast, I was born and raised in the Arkansas Ozarks (6 generations at least) of early settlers. Grew up way out in the woods without electricity and all that grants in the way of conveniences.

Then just to be extra crazy, lived on a commune in the Sierras in California and remembered just how much I disliked pooping in an outhouse! =D

So now I'm in San Francisco and it does NOT lend itself to the life I miss and would really love to reclaim.

I know what you mean about the aging thing. I'm 61 and am the nanny-granny for my granddaughter so this is my life now. Otherwise I'd be looking into finding combined living arrangements with my oldies.

Just found your blog and am loving it.

v