Saturday, March 27, 2010

Shadow Shot Sunday...Me, My Home

Delicate shadows
fade into the mem'ry of
the day of my birth

A.B.C. Ward
they called him Alphabet Ward
an attorney
started building his dream
in the mid 1800's
4 grand cement pillars raised
and set to a theme
where he would gaze at the river
the mighty muddy
the Mississippi
the view and the folly
for hours on end
alas his folly was not to be
he left the structure in shambles
and moved on
we're getting closer
to me

the home was purchased and assembled
a grand new life it would see
on the nob hill
where the elite lived
Cora Weed the owner would be
she dearly loved her gardens
and the views of the wild muddy
until the day she died
then the Bellevue arrived
getting closer to me

a hospital

this grand dame was reshaped
and mutilated
stripped of her charms
degradation began
grand pillars
buried alive
an enclosed porch would entomb
her integrity was scarred
ugly
an addition built on
a new wing for the lair
a pox on a lady
who had once been so fair
tacky

take heart dear ones
this tale ends with glee
dear friends
and high school buds
Tom and Cindy
bought the old dame
restored her and refurnished
they charmed her to fame
10 plus years in the chore
a monument to history
and a memory to gain
in the town of my birth
in the home of my birth
on nob hill

yes I was born in this home
as was my brother
you see
do you envy
I was for an instant
a princess born of
regal means
on a nob hill
in a mansion
an envy not to be

though I moved on like A.B. C. Ward
I still have the dream
and the original
and the regal
home of my birth

me


s.wilson

...and if you climb to the widows walk you can see all the way down the street where I now live...along the mighty Mississip' in the pink shack...

The Pink Chateau
and my birth home
me...

Well, what a tale...now check out the others at Harriet's place...
and I promise I'll do a follow up on this old mansion. I'll call Cindy for a photo shoot and give you inside shots of the restorations and some history of what these two crazy old friends poured into this old relic...enjoy the view!!!