Wednesday, March 24, 2010

An unusual piece...

I'm sure there is a proper name for this piece, but I don't know what it is. It has a coat closet, 3 drawers, a hat shelf and a writing desk...could it be a gentleman's dresser of some sort..
whatever it is, I love it, but Barb has sent it home with me to work my magic...

TA DA...
I love it in black...it was the only paint finish perfect for this piece, very gentlemanly,
don't you think...?
I left the inside of the desk, closet and hat shelf it's natural wood finish, for a piece this masculine, you want to leave it a little more rugged so chips and scratches don't appear on it's usable elements, like writing or hanger nicks...besides...
MEN LOVE WOOD
and will tolerate a little paint, if you can see some wood...
there it is again, that Mars thing...

Hey girls, can you imagine this for a closet for your one dress and one pair of shoes
back in the day...

WHATEVER...I'm sure!!!!

BTW...my little bluebird watercolor sold 15 minutes after it was put on the floor at Sisters...
now, hopefully the others will move along soon.
Have a great SPRING day friends!

7 comments:

Lori R. said...

Nice job on the "wooden" piece. Your birdy pictures were just sweet as can be. I bet they all sell fast!

Golden West said...

It's always been my understanding that pieces like this were made for hotels or the servants' quarters (very practical and zero ornamentation). I have a major soft spot for quarter sawn oak...

Excellent to hear you painting sold so quickly - it was charming!

greenmeadow said...

When I was growing up in the South my cajun grandmother had one of these. It was called a chiffarobe. The door to the hat shelf area usually had a mirror, I guess so you could be sure you had your hat on straight and were presentable before going out. I found and old one and painted it white. Love the funky black one you have!

willow said...

It has such great lines! Perfect in black!

sassytrash said...

Black was the perfect save for that great old piece! It turned out great....you know your stuff, girl.

Nank said...

Golden West is RIGHT! It's a hotel piece. I bought one several years ago from an auction of furnishings of a hotel here in AZ. VERY COOL! Mine doesn't have the writing desk. But if you think about it it has everything you find in a hotel these days. I can just imagine Wyatt Earp sitting at the desk making his "to do list".

1: Shave
2: Dress
3: Eat
4: Shoot-out at the OK Corral!
5: Hightail it out of town.

The Attic said...

LOVE it Sharon! When daughter was leetle, I had one in her room. It was oak and the only difference is that the part where yours had the desk, her's was just an empty box and I stacked her clothing in it/ I loved that piece and regret selling it. She outgrew it and I sold it. :(
You find the greatest stuff. I think you need your own Picker tv show with Scratchy as your sidekick. It would be great!