Thursday, December 11, 2008

Cheer...and dreams...











We are all trying this new thing called 'less is more' for Christmas. Worldwide we need to structure our lives into this new millennium with this mindset, what impact will my purchases have on my personal footprint in society today. All the wrapping paper that fills the landfills this time of year, boxes and Styrofoam, too much packaging for one single item. I guess that's where us crazies in the antique trade pride ourselves...we ARE the original recyclers. Scavenging and bartering to accumulate the product of our trade, we merrily roam hill and dale (and dumpster) to find treasures of bygone eras to fill your homes with the luxury and pride of history.
As travel becomes more of a dream than a reality, with the unsure nature of gas prices, we don't luxuriate into grand vacations anymore, we skip from antique show to antique show, auction to auction, fulfilling a dream and a niche in our lives and the lives of others, you our customers (in crime) for that eclectic piece that puts the perfect glow to our lives and homes and our ancestry.
Come to the story of the past...and whip into your favorite antique shop, your car knows the way...and we'll be waiting to please...Happy Holidays!

9 comments:

summersundays-jw said...

Amen, sister!!! I'm doing as much of my shopping as I can at Leola's this year -- haven't been to Walmart once. I find creative ways to wrap my packages & only sending cards to those that need a note written. There's something about all those cards that come with just a typed name & no hand-written message. We, at Leola's, love that we're recycling & repurposeing & maybe softening our footprint on this earth. PEACE! Jan

Anita said...

That's the truth. And I am in such a paring down mode currently that I am finding it hard to go buy for Christmas. Anyone else having that trouble????

Anita

Lisa B. said...

We are proud of our conservationists spirits aren't we!! Conserving out planet and our history:) Keep spreading the good word!!! I love that gold upholstered chair!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Well spoken.

I like that crazy quilt. Somebody could wrap my gift up in that.
Marnie

Greyscale Territory said...

I agree with Anita to a point. But my paring down for Christmas began last year.
There were no Chrissy pressies between my partner and I (nor for or from my children, who at least are grown up.) It will be the same this year. But we all love each other, and that is what matters more and more when times are tough! Last year I was very upset about it all, but this year is better possibly because we are moving into a new rental property just in time for Chrissy. (My son's pressie is helping to pay for the move!) And it has lovely views of Port Phillip Bay. That makes a great pressie that will last!

But I still enjoy seeing the joyful Chrissy glitter of photos like these. I see joy and hope and giving, not just the money behind it all.

willow said...

I've been trying to do the "less is more" thing, too, this Christmas.

Love that great old gold chair!

Wish on a Whisker said...

The only way to shop! Happy Holidays! ~Mandy

High Desert Diva said...

Well said!!!

M.Kate said...

I tried the 'less is more' approach and ehem...quite failing miserably so far for Christmas this year. However, another interesting post and definitely well said :)