Monday, December 8, 2008

Memories Decline

A mansion in my eyes, this wonderful old home once shared beauty of an age past. Now I know a lot of you, in fact most of you, will share my opinion on this one. The owners of this property on the edge of the city, yet in the country, are thinking that this grand beauty is an eyesore and must be torn down, thinking that it will enhance the beauty of their property, which is right next door, across the field anyway. Now mind you , their home was built in the 60's, I believe, so it has the typical design of a brick ranch, which was one too, of an era. All the fancies of a doctor and his family with a pool and all the trimmings, none of the grandeur of this old home and in my opinion...boring. It's the son, who is a friend of my brother, that thinks the old home has no function or viability and should be razed.
I keep my fingers crossed that this Victorian queen will not see it's demise, through the eyes of individuals who care not for her regal stature or her promise to once again be a noble lady. Their twisted view of beauty is not shared by me and I hope they decide to fix up or sell. Most people looking to buy this home will know the amount of work needed to restore. It has been rented for years, allowing it to fall in disrepair, rather than a constant state of repair, that ALL homes in the North require, not just old homes. But so many landlords just collect rents and do nothing to improve the living conditions of their tenants or the structure of the buildings, allowing them to crumble...a decaying memory of pomp and past lives.
Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed on this one...I know my opinion is of my own making and it is not for the liking of everyone, as my own daughter would choose the newer model over the old, but I hope there are enough of us out there that see the beauty and will strive to maintain history and memory of a gentler era.

22 comments:

trash talk said...

Maybe instead of tearing it down, they could offer it up free to be moved. At least that way, the house has a fighting chance of survival. It just kills me when fine old homes are taken down and McMansions take their place. And you and I both know that the way homes are built today, they won't be around as long as these old beauties. That's my opinion and that with a 1.00 can get you a cup of coffee. Debbie

High Desert Diva said...

NO!!!!!

I cringed when I read your words. I cannot believe the mind set of some people.

Why would anyone want to tear this beauty down?

Steph said...

Is there someone you could go to -- an historic preservation group -- who could put it on an endangered list?

Roses and Lilacs said...

Our society doesn't value anything old.
Marnie

Paz said...

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed, too, that all goes well. A miracle will happen. Yes, a historic preservation group is a wonderful idea.

Paz

Anita said...

As I work on fixing up this old house of ours, I know that the neighbors worked to have it condemned- raccoons crawled in and out and it was empty for 5 years. When we bought it, it WAS condemned and we could have torn it down. But I couldn't. EVER. And though it is old and has some quirks, slowly this hous eis coming back. I will say, we have put over $100K into it- and if it wer enot for the geothermanl heat system, it would be a BEAR to heat . My last Victorian her ein town cost $981 last January to heat. Who can afford that? Not single MOms, for sure.

A FOR SALE sign in the yard would draw a TON of interest.

Greyscale Territory said...

What a grand lady, begging for love. Your words are quite heart-breaking! It seems strange that those with money cannot see the riches for the soul just waiting! (I guess that doesn't connect with building the traditional bank account.) To get this wonderful old lady glowing again, I guess you may have to give up something. Know some poverty to know some riches!

Thinking of you a great deal and hoping your winter is kind.

cconz said...

That issue has been an sore spot with both bill and i. People are so gunho to tear stuff down to put a peice of crap in it's place. or a pole building. Lone tree is the town of pole buildings thanks to a group of idiot landlords.

maryt/theteach said...

I'm with you on this, repose! My house is an old Tudor built back in the 30s and I would hate to see it demolished!

MuseSwings said...

It's so beautiful - I imagined wandering through it while I read your post. It was a bit cold inside without the heat on. The beauty of it and the charm need to be saved.

willow said...

I see so many of these great old homes left abandoned in the midwest. Sad. Hope this beauty isn't torn down. Keep us posted.

lucy said...

Oh I so agree with you...What could be done with such a beautiful girl.

time-worn interiors said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
time-worn interiors said...

Oh no!! Did we pass that house on the way to Sisters? I love that house! I'd love to see inside it.
Hopefully it will be saved!
Theresa

M.Kate said...

It's a beautiful house Sharon..and it will be a pity if it's being torn down. Over here, we see many old houses torn down in tune for better and modern development. We see many beautiful old mansions left abandoned as people prefer the more urban ones, so sad but it happens all the time.

Pagan Sphinx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pagan Sphinx said...

Sorry to have messed up my former comment.

What I wanted to say was that this looks like it could be a house in my town. There are a lot of these old victorian brick houses around. They are mostly run-down; either affordable rental housing or real estate in this working-class town.

What a shame it would be to tear it down.

Hi! I'm Grace said...

Very nice post. I enjoyed reading... :)

oldflowers4me said...

ooooooooooohhhhhhhh-this did break my heart -pack her up and send her to me ,here in australia...

paisley said...

i love and old house,,, and just happen to live in an old fixer upper that doesn't get a whole lot of fixing up,, but i love her just the same.....

summersundays-jw said...

It's such a difficult time to find anyone who wants to invest in anything. If I win the lottery, I'll give you a call. Good luck!!!

Tea Time With Melody said...

Oh, I hope they save this home too! It could be grand again.