Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Come on in...












I love old doors...can you just imagine the history that has walked through these weathered old entrances. Whether it's through a mansion door or a barn door, I have a hard time visualizing them newly built, when so much character surrounds each ancient thresh hold. Weathered brick and mortar, board and stoop, all hold stories grand and meek.
I am just so happy to live in an era and be in a business that respects the textures and history, regardless of the decrepitude of the building and the grace of each old structure that holds these bits of history. I want to be a child again and run through the old screen door at Granny's house, "don't slam the door", is the memory I want to hold dear. Sneaking in through the barn door, playing hide and seek with the neighbor kids or looking for the fuzzy kittens you just spied peeking out from the dark and mysterious interiors of the old sheds of time.
To me, as a child or an adult, an old door is the entrance to many exciting new finds inside, inviting an intrepid explorer to sift through the rubble of time and discovers bits of a past long gone, but worthy of my praise, as I trip through time in the archaeology of an era long past, my clothes enshrouded in the dust and magic of my world...ahhh, I am at peace...is this for sale...how much???

13 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

*searches family tree*

Are you sure we're not related?

I love old doors...

Peggy. said...

I love old doors. Great pics.

paisley said...

oh, me too... my favorite,, and one i wish i had a picture of was the "front" door to an old cellar apartment i lived in a few years back... it was like 5 feet tall and 4.5 feet wide made of 2 inch thick old redwood,, held together with old copper strips.... i will never forget that door or forgive myself for not having a photo of it......

M.Kate said...

Hi Sharon, wonderful doors. Never really thought about doors, hardly see any new house with old doors. People here are obsessed with the newest and latest, though in China..old doors are highly prized and even used as decor at halls. I wonder where all the old doors have gone here...

trash talk said...

I always wanted a house with a dutch door. I thought those were the coolest. We have a pair of pine doors I'm going to try to turn into a headboard. Wish me luck! Tn'T

Olga said...

Great photos! I too like taking photos of doors: old, new, doesn't matter!

summersundays-jw said...

I, too, love old doors & I, too, grew up in the country & can remember all those same things. We have an old squeaky screen door on our back porch & always yelling at g'kids to not catch their fingers. Jan

MuseSwings said...

I love old doors too! What a story they would tell! Your purchases on yesterday's blog are wonderful! That soap dish is soooo pretty.

summersundays-jw said...

We've had a little snow but mostly ice & extremely cold temps. I hear you can get a really good deal on a house in Florida these days but what is it they always say-- you'll miss the "seasons". Yeah, right!!!! I think I could live with that but I'd surely miss all my "people" here. Stay warm! Jan

Utah Grammie said...

I think we should start up a support group for "old-door-lovers" - of course, it wouldn't be one of those where we even WANTED to be cured!! Maybe a "fan club" is better- anyway - I LOVE LOVE LOVE your photos of the doors! I love furniture made from these treasures- and screen doors? with the metal mesh?! Wonderful magnetic holders! I use mine to display photos..

A Cuban In London said...

Oh, yes. There's nothing like a creaking old door to revive memories long gone. Beautiful post.

Greetings from London.

Jill said...

oohh, I love your doors!

ed said...

情趣用品,情趣,A片,AIO,AV,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色文學,色情,寄情竹園小遊戲,色情遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,色情影片,情趣內衣,情趣睡衣,性感睡衣,情趣商品,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室 ,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080苗栗人聊天室,080聊天室,視訊交友網,視訊

借錢,黃金,黃金回收,黃金價格,黃金買賣,當舖,中古車,二手車

成人網站,成人影片,色情,情色網,情色,AV,AV女優,成人影城,成人,色情A片,日本AV,免費成人影片,成人影片,SEX,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,做愛,情色A片,色情影片,H漫,A漫,18成人,情色電影,自拍,成人電影