Monday, December 1, 2008

A warm hearth and a trusty stead...

Some of you asked to see the Pink Chateau covered in snow...well I hope you enjoy it as much as I didn't...ha, but such is the way of the Northlands...you just deal with it. This was last years deluge, just one of many 10 inchers.

How can such a beautiful scene be so dreaded, well just look at the piles EVERYWHERE!!! The bad thing is you have to go to work, but not this year, I can work out of my home without the stress of the open road. The fear comes from the lost revenues of traffic unable to get to you.
My trusty stead, although not 4-wheel drive, has no barn to shelter it, so I 'm at the mercy of a good ice scraper and a bucket of sand. The inside of the truck is fitted with an extra pair of snow boots, gloves, coat, shovel and blankets for emergencies. This is serious when there's a white-out, when you can't see ten feet in front of you. I've driven in snows where you had to drive on the shoulder, with window open and snow blowing in, just so you could see the ditch, that was the only way you knew you were still on the road, driving 5 miles an hour. You can hardly get your fingers to move from gripping the wheel so tight, all the while it is thundering outside. An eery feeling to be sure, but such is the life, I'm just thankful that I don't live in Minnesota, sorry Connie...
So there you have it, why me and many other merchants dread winters in the North, beautiful but deadly...so come on Pilgrim, give it a go...visit us in the frozen North...or just keep buying from us online...you are so appreciated!

14 comments:

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Sharon, I have 5-inches so far this morning and it's still snowing. Bet you got this storm before I did. It was drifting pretty bad with 30 mph winds but the county plows dug me out at about 4:30am.
Marnie

trash talk said...

We don't see snow like that here in my part of the country. When it is predicted you ought to see the grocery store lines. People act like we're going to get snowed in for a month. It's hilarious. You don't dare get on the roads. No one knows how to drive in icy conditions. All nut jobs out there!Hey, you mentioned thunder. Don't the farmers say something about thunder when it snows? Been trying to remember, but my oldtimers alltimers is kicking in. Help me out. Tn'T

French Vanilla said...

Hi Sharon. I grew up in SD, lived in MT, and IN. Know that whole scenario of snow and ice...that is why I now winter down south!!! But I love it up north in the summer. Stay safe girl. peg

M.Kate said...

Hi Sharon, I see it clearly now... :D

willow said...

I love that your sweet repose is pink! And your stead does look very trustworthy. We have huge flakes falling as I type, but they are not sticking....so far. Be safe in the snow!

Lola Enchanted said...

lOve the pink house!!!

JB Knacker said...

Thanks for the compliment on the shop. It sounds like Sisters' did great on Friday! We were steady busy all day and ended the month w/ our best retail month to date in our 3 years being open. I think that says people are buying...and you're right, not only gifts and decorations, but antiques and pieces for themselves! I need to get back to you this week about more soap...the oatmeal & almond is just about gone as well as the lemon-verbena. You make the best soap!! I'll talk to you soon! Brenda

summersundays-jw said...

My brother-in-law put an automatic starter on my car & is it ever nice. Sometimes when I'm working it's dark & cold when I leave so I just start the old cold car up a few minutes early & it's warm. Great invention! We lived in Minn. for several years & the weather was miserable in the winter. Just keep making those great necklaces & you'll be buying a winter place in the islands. Jan

cconz said...

hi sharon, you got more snow than us. I drove back home on sunday. What a horror that was! The interstate packed and all going over 70 miles an hour. then throw in snow and ice, along with slipping and sliding. Then Going from 70 to stopping completely. and hoping that the screwballs behind you see that everyone is stopped.It was like that the whole 4 hour drive.

Lisa B. said...

Gosh your story reminds me of a patient that I had once that told me about when she was a little girl and her family had to drive to Denver from I think it was Leadville in the winter. I guess it was before I70 was there and they had to go over Loveland Pass in a snow storm. I don't know if you've ever driven that road...but I think it's scary in summer. No guard rails and straight down to nowhere. She said her mother had to walk out in front of the car with a lantern so they could see the road! Oh my God! I can't even imagine! Moral of the story...I guess things can always be worse. But thank God they aren't...what we get is bad enough!!
Glad you're enjoying your balmy 60 degrees...we've got ours down to 55! lol.

Greyscale Territory said...

O help that is such a deluge of snow! I think I just like to see it all in pictures where it looks so pretty! Not sure how I would cope!

But your chateu looks just like an enchanted cottage in this picture! I love it!

Greyscale Territory said...

I am sure your poetry is becoming richer and deeper if that is possible! I feel I am stepping into some mystical land when I read your words and the feeling lingers long afterwards! Beautiful!

High Desert Diva said...

What the heck did we ever do without the internet?

I can't imagine how isolated winters in Iowa must have felt before the www.

It is pretty though. And I love how quiet everything sounds with a blanket of snow.

I ordered some bars of dog soap (shampoo) online and thought I'd give you a nudge in that direction. Is this something you'd consider making? I'd rather buy from you...

Tea Time With Melody said...

Oh my goodness, that you even brave driving in a white out like that with windows open no less. I guess living in California does have it's benefits. hahaha You don't mention any "survival food" stashed in your truck, sounds like you might need some.....:)