Monday, December 22, 2008

Cure for cabin fever...

First you slather on a thin mix of water and brown paint over newly painted pale yellow walls...

Then you let it dry and wipe down with a wet rag, leaving just enough to give the appearance of dirt and mildew...ahhh...the finish t'resistance...(a steer I drew for my daughter, who once collected cows).



First of all, you have to live in what some (my daughter) would say...a shack...my lil' pink chateau. With 100 years to her credit, she's the perfect palette for a single, artistic woman to set her fancies free. With the trends today in decorating styles, you can literally do anything, the sky's the limit. So now my project is to paint my kitchen walls with an antiqued finish to give them the decrepit look of sorely-in need of paint-kinda look. It gives the room a warm glow and really sets off the vintage wallpaper that was uncovered when the cheesy paneling was removed.


Not everyone can get away with this style of decorating...but that is one advantage to being single and free...did I say FREE, as a bird in flight...I ask no man for permission...I think that shall be my new mantra for the new year. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of wonderful husbands out there...but having been in the retail business all my life there is one phrase that just grates against my grain...I HAVE TO ASK MY HUSBAND FIRST...now how many husbands are out there asking that very same question...


More shots later of my floor-stripping project...ha...ask Sister Theresa of Time-worn Interiors about my crazy style...


My excavated 1920's wallpaper...

15 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Good for you! My trim still needs to be painted...I've been stuck at home all week, you'd think I'd be motivated to finish it up!

That phrase makes me cringe, too.

time-worn interiors said...

I love your style! It's very comforting. It looks like a mansion full of things that have been collected over the last 100 years. Your style fits you perfectly.
Theresa

Lisa B. said...

You go girl! Oh how I've been tempted to leave my half removed antique wallpaper intact and call it done! Alas it's not my husband stopping me but my own deeply ingrained need to conform;( Maybe I just need a few more years under my belt?!

cconz said...

Even if i don't have time to write my own post. i Have to check your posts everyday. What's new with sharon today!. Where do you find the time, To paint your wall no less! It looks great. Your so unique! I love it. I have wallpaper in the bedroom peeling but, that's the way it will stay.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hey Sharon. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "My husband is so good to me, he lets me _______ (fill in the blank). I want to shriek "He lets you?"

I'm working on antiquing some frames I got from the thrift shop. A couple layers of paint and some wax.
Marnie

willow said...

Love your "aged" look! It is fun that you can get away with things in older houses because the floors walls aren't even, etc, etc. Just ask me. I know!

Utah Grammie said...

My DH knows me better that those wives who hafta ask- he once asked me if he had a clean shirt, I said "Gee, I don't know...do I have any clean jeans??" He hasn't asked dumb questions in YEARS! Love the new paint look- hafta admit I was a bit skeptical at the first photo- but soon I LOVED the new look - and the pan and is that a drying rack? So very nice! I love your "pink chateau"!
Colleen

M.Kate said...

Dear Sharon, at times..I wished I am the only adult at home. Have been wanting to re-paint some of the wall..and I am forever in a argument with the husband over the colour, and till now..we've not agreed on any colour, so no repainting :(

But that's one cool colour for sure.
Here's to wishing you a Merry, Blessed and joyful Christmas. It's been such fun knowing you. Big hugs and much love...M

Sandra Ree said...

Sharon, wishing you a very Merry, Merry Christmas. Thank you... xo

Shab-n-Chic said...

We have plenty of those " I want to bring my husband in" before I buy it. I have plans for a "Husband Bench" outside the store. I will stack a supply of manly magazines on it to keep em occupied..if only we could rig up a tv... hmmmmm.

Anita said...

That's why I don't have a husband anymore. Got sick of asking. I did a similar thing for the painting- I had a gold color- rubbed red oak stain over it- got a great look- BUT maybe a summer project as I could have been HIGH AS A KITE from the fumes- fortunately it was a drafty old house and I didn;t have a gas furnace :)

Love it...Merry Christmas friend.

Anita

Greyscale Territory said...

Love how you have done that kitchen wall! Amazing technique and the final product is fascinating!

Forgive the platitudes, but I am so tired from setting up house that creative words fail me right now! But wanted to let you know I am around, though haven't been doing too much blogging!

And wishing you a really happy Christmas!

BIG HUGS!

Claire, said...

Gorgeous! Stunning! Would love to see it in person.

Merry Christmas!

Paz said...

Lovely place you've got.

Paz

ed said...

情趣用品,情趣,情色,成人,A片,自拍,情趣用品,情趣,色情,成人影片,色情影片,免費A片,情趣用品,情趣,成人網站,A片下載,日本AV,做愛,情趣用品,情趣,美女交友,A片,辣妹視訊,情色視訊,情趣用品,情趣,色情聊天室,聊天室,AV,成人電影

情色,A片,AIO,AV,日本AV,色情A片,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,A片下載,情色A片,哈啦聊天室,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,色情聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費視訊聊天,上班族聊天室,080中部人聊天室,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天,成人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,辣妹視訊,情色視訊,成人,成人影片,成人光碟,成人影城,自拍