Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm sad...are you...

The other day in our local paper, I was stunned by this article...local man helps economy by hiring workers...he started his family farm with a dozen sows and now has 5000...yup, you heard me right!

This is how 5000 sows and their offspring live their short lives...so you can have your sausage and egg McMuffins...however they forget to tell you about the pollution these factory farms create and how many small family farms they put out of business. This meat is also unhealthy compared to farm-raised pork, the amount of stress put on these animal directly effects the standard of the meat...oh, don't let your local butcher tell you that all his cows eat is corn and it's the best meat...HELLO...cows are herbivores...they eat grass...try it, the taste is totally different and far leaner...you are being deceived by the beef growers of America...imagine that!

I don't eat pork, but millions do, how can you look at this picture with a clear conscience...I can't...

Yup...it's your Egg McMuffin again...buy local, from family farms, help support struggling family farms and fight to rid us of these Guantanamo's of the farmyard...oh and another juicy tidbit...did you know that chicken droppings are fed to cows in feedlots of factory farms...just thought you'd like to know...!

Just Google factory farms if you wanna ruin your day!
Buy local, it'll make your day...get to know your family farmer
you won't regret!

9 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

An eye opener for sure

simplyiowa said...

Hi Sharon...
I took Agribusiness in College, in 1981, I hated it, and quit, it was, and still is sooo bad... hormones, confinement, sad, sad, all about the buck...My Dad, and grandparents farmed, with chickens, ducks, geese, pigs, cows, horses and sheep. They treated their amimals with kindness, and respest. Yes they butchered, but the animals had a real life, and all got extra rations on Christmas Eve. It was a farm way of life... How sad, farmers aren't making any money with this massproduction,{referring to milk producers} maybe they should try being diverse, and raise their stock like God had intended...I could tell you story after story, about how cruel our farm animals are treated...
I buy my eggs from a farm, and when I can't, I buy at the store, free range, only...Everyone counts every penny, when feeding livestalk, if you can save 2 cents per cow, times 100 head every day, feeding garbage, or get them to market one day quicker, with a hormone implant.... I don't think they will be counting pennies in Heaven... We are just as guilty, we keep buying this, I know most farmers have just been dragged into this new way, and sold a line of bull, by some pretty sharp cookies, if we would just demand 'Free Range', and realize we are going to have to pay more, and eat a little less, like we should, we would all be a lot healthier.{ two legged, four legged, finned and feathered!}
Barb C.

cconz said...

You know how i feel about this stinking issue. Educating people about the atrocities will help. I think thats the biggest solution.

T.Allen-Mercado said...

this makes me so sad. we try our best to educate whoever will listen about the conditions that exist in the industry. it seems the biggest excuse/explanation we hear from others is cost. but, we keep trying-thanks for posting this.

Utah Grammie said...

This is so sad..and when I was a teenager I worked at a fast-food place that saved their used grease, in 50 gallon drums, outside in the Arizona heat, with the bugs and the stink, and when I asked what they were saving it for, they told me they fed it to the chickens to fatten them up....I couldn't each chicken for years....

donna baker said...

I've seen large trucks with several levels of tiny piglets crammed into those spaces. I guess on their way to fatten up before slaughter. They say pigs are smarter than dogs. That really makes me sad. I wish people would quit eating mammals.

Jacque said...

If more people were educated on this subject, or at least willing to open their eyes they would make serious changes in their choices. I was fortunate to grow up in a family with strong values in the choices we make. I grow most of my own food and what I can't I get local. People can be lazy and greedy.... I choose to not eat meat, but if one does at least be wise to what you are getting. Gee I wonder why so many people are sick all the time! Thanks for a strong post, I hope it changes someone's life~Jacque

Wish on a Whisker said...

Hi Sharon~ I always tell my husband, "I know I would get arrested, but I'd love to stop and open the doors and free them ALL!" ~Mandy

vintagesue said...

you have enlightened me. something to think about. thanks.
sue