Thursday, October 15, 2009

Will the White Gurlz ever have a home...

A day phoofing at the Amanas...aren't these just the coolest...

I heart old gold frames...and lots of white dishes and tarnished silver...


Well, if I know me, the wheels are turning...Lorie and I drove through Muscatine's downtown last night looking at all the vacant storefronts...and there are a bunch of them...but my heart just wasn't in any of them.

Wonderful old turn of the century buildings...but...too many bad elements. The downtown is making the mistake of allowing too many insurance, real estate and attorney's offices... AND BARS AND PAWN SHOPS...ugh...the parking is still a major issue too.

Sooooo...I think my earlier thoughts of building a pole building at the Pink Chateau, may be the best direction yet and with 6 acres, we could have flea markets and yard sales...so maybe the White Gurlz will settle down yet...more to come on that issue...

9 comments:

time-worn interiors said...

I feel your pain girl, but I just don't want to be tied down to a store! I kinda like my freedom, and with crazy up and down economy who knows what tomorrow will bring?
TOT

simplyiowa said...

Hey Sharon,
I didn't know you had that option...Seems like the best thought I've heard... That's what I did, 13 years ago... Anything you put into it will be yours...It makes good sense...I know you would do a fab job, and you could still have spots in selected areas! Go for it!
Barb C.

Lori R. said...

When a person drives through Muscatine, the idea of a place downtown is so appealing, but the problem is the ultra conservative attitude of the people of Muscatine. It is hard to get anywhere with that attitude. The pole barn is a NEAT idea and just think of the tons of money you would save in gas funds. Rent would be cheapER, I'm just not sure about the addage "build it and they will come". At least, if it is closer to home, you can be there at all times and you wouldn't be depending on sales all over the country and HAULING all over the country... Least you wouldn't be driving to LeClaire and setting up IN THE SNOW.
I bet Scratchy likes the idea!!!!

willow said...

Yes, I think you should put up shop on your own property, there, Sharon. Go for it, girl!

The Attic said...

I think a once a month sale would really suit you girls..get a mailing list and send out those postcards. Lots of gals do "Barn Sales" here in California and the people come! The words spreads and they come from Arizona..it's like the big party but it takes time to build it up. Good luck with whatever you decide!

-nanc

cconz said...

Sharon,What ever you do will be good. It's to bad you can't find a cool old barn that needs moving. All the structures on our bit of heaven were moved here.All you need is a big truck and a few jethros.

sue said...

You build it and I'll even drive the 14 hours to get there! Pinky swear!

Seriously, if you've got the land, I have no idea what's holding you back. I'd do it in a hearbeat!

Golden West said...

Just one word of caution - liability. Be prepared to have a massive amount of insurance if you do something on your own property, as you are exposing yourself to a lot risk. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic.

pollyanns said...

All I have to say is... MOUNT VERNON!