Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Fabric of Sweet Repose...

Well, this is how it all began, 15 years ago...I was smitten by the look of the hand sewn Victorian lampshades and at a $350.00 price tag, they were totally out of my reach...soooo...this intrepid artist(nut case) decided to try my hand at making them myself...

Now mind you, this was the land before internet, so all research was done by magazine to phone...what a pain, how did we ever survive!!! My daughter also shared this first shop with me, doing her floral designs along side our taxidermy shop...I know...don't even go there, but it worked...everyone loved it!!!

I would also purchase ratty old frames and add new silk chiffon, clean up and re-dye the old trims and beads to give them a newer luster.


VOILA'

Then the word was out and people would bring me their Grandmother's shades for a redo...

...then I started buying new frames and would experiment on my own...

...with fun(expensive) new trims and fabrics and play with my new toys into the wee hours of the morn...



So, as you can see, there are many more shades to be recovered...but for now they rest at the Pink Chateau...home of The Fabric of Sweet Repose...

...and there you have THE REAL story!!!

7 comments:

sassytrash said...

Wow....you are so talented!!!..they are really gorgeous, and I know how hard that is to do!! (Taxidermy?......hmmmm)

bellafleur said...

I love the way you continually reveal your past lives! Hasn't it been an interesting journey. "Life is short,but it is broad." (I forget who said that.)

Debra @ Common Ground said...

Sharon, you are an amazing artist. These shades are exceptional. Thank you for sharing photos of them and your "history". Love it!
Debra

Lori R. said...

and a star was born, all shiny and bright....errrr.... old and antiquey....
Hope to get over there someday, haven't been to the shed for going on 2 weeks... withdrawl is murder...

cconz said...

Wow, how did that flu thing get on there. That shop was killer. it was small but, it really packed in the gorgous stuff.

time-worn interiors said...

Girl I can't believe you still have pictures of a shop from 15 years ago!

If those old lamp shades could speak, there's no telling what kind of story they could tell!

TOT

P.S. My work verification was (trimo) Ha! How did they know you were posting about trim!

The Green Pea said...

You are so talented and it looks like a lot of work. The shades are beautiful. sandi