Thursday, April 22, 2010

And so it begins...

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their comments and concerns, this is no slight of hand move for my daughter, this is her second move in ten years of owning The Shed, unlike her Mother...Where is she now Wilson...is she following her footsteps...or maybe she gets the concept of beating a dead horse...

There's a movie theater and a dance and karate studio in the mall, that were once downtown and they attract a lot of watchers.

I know all you small biz owners know what we're going through...those sleepless money worrying nights, will they come and when they do will it be enough to sustain. Those that know me, know that finding inventory has never been a problem, my shops have always been full to the brim...the question here is, is the mall ready for us two go-getters..heehee...

You do what you can with what you have and I think Piper and I are qualified...
we don't let the meanies get us down...we're gonna WOW um with our smarts and try to encourage other small biz to make the move...
too bad so many have already closed their doors for good...bummer...

who knew...

Piper told me over the phone yesterday on my way home from Sisters' that not one person walked through her doors...
gee, I wonder why...oh I know...
they have the main thoroughfare to the downtown closed for resurfacing...
for a month now...
that's progress!

See ya at the new shop friends...

14 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hi
I have really enjoyed reading your post, on your business. I too am a small business owner, barely holding on. My lease is up this year and I have some decisions to make. I appreciate your candor. Sometimes you really feel alone out there. I wish you the best...
Many Blessings
Rebecca

trash talk said...

Sounds to me like the downtown people could take a few pages out of the mall owner's handbook for attracting businesses. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you...I got a really good feeling about this one!
Debbie

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

I wish you the best with your new shop! It look great and I luv the garden section. Thanks for sharing...Julian

summersundays-jw said...

I feel for your daughter -- it's hard to stay motivated when no one is even coming thru your doors. We get frustrated with what we call "the Lamberts Bunch" but it gives lots of traffic & sometimes they buy & sometimes they go home & tell someone else about us. I always try to remember the old saying about the only regrets you have in life are the things you didn't try. Best of luck!

T said...

Wishing you and your daughter much luck as you venture to the mall!

cconz said...

Good luck Sharon and Piper!! It sounds like it will be a good fit. Muscatine is a cool place , it's to bad they (town council)can't see that.

simplyiowa said...

Go Get 'em Girls! You can do it!!!!
I know it's tuff, but the tuff get goin'! Strut your stuff!
My Love to Ya!
Barb C.

The Attic said...

Sending your daughter BEST wishes for the new shop! I can relate to SLOW..they have been working right in front of our store for 7 days now..new storm drains. Sidewalk crossing is closed and people are just staying away!

hey, just had another earthquake a few minutes ago. My chandelier is a swinging!

angelandspot said...

Good Luck! I may have to come check it out someday.

ginger said...

Like the old saying ,when the going gets tuff the tuff get going.I agree with Barb you gals will do great.You didn't get this far being afraid to take a chance.And I'm pretty sure you are no stranger to hard work.
BEST OF LUCK Ginger

Sisters' Garden and Bloom said...

As always---you know you girls have my full support!!! You are not afraid of hard work and taking chances and that's what it's all about to run a business you love!
You can do it!!! What ever help you need ---I'll be here!
Your candles and soaps are absolutely the best...people NEED a cool place to find them!
See you soon!! barb

M.Kate said...

Enjoyed this post and hope that all will be good in sales soon. Happy weekend Sharon :)

Linda said...

It sounds like you have done your homework- an exciting new venture!

Rusty said...

It certainly sounds exciting. Who knows, just such a move could go a log way to turning things around for the whole area.

I love looking through your photos - so many things bring back old memories. Like my grandfathers country garage - etc.