Monday, April 5, 2010

My buds...

Told ya I was homesick for Florida...well this lil' reminder is in a new herb bed I planted last summer. My sandy soil is perfect for herbs, so more lavender is on the menu this year, you can never have enough of it...right!

My poor apricot tree, every year is loaded with buds, but few fruits...I need a mate...

FOR THE TREE!!!

Since the local nursery closed, it's been a struggle to find one close...and reasonable.
Not many honey bees around yet, last year I finally had bunches of them, I think they must've recovered, somewhat from the blight...but when you live this close to aerial spraying in the fields all around me, it's a wonder any bugs survive!
Good ol' Monsanto, thank you very much!!!

My lowly lil' lilac bush, every homestead had one...and birdhouses on every tree.

To me, not playing by the rules and mowing my grass like everyone else, has really doubled my bird population. Some mornings it's so loud, you wanna turn the volume control down, instead, I grab a cup o Joe and head for the swing, binoculars in tow, I scan for new friends...
can't wait for the meadow lark's return, he serenades from the treetops
telling all...
summer has arrived!


Sigh....

7 comments:

Spadoman said...

Today was the first day that I awoke to some light in the sky. The birds were singing like a symphony. Well, I think it IS a symphony. I wish I knew which birds sang which songs like I did the Beatles, Rolling Stones and The Who.

Is that last photo of your shop?

Peace.

angelandspot said...

I saw my first Blue Heron this morning :) There are a few that fly back and forth over us going back and forth between the river and the various farm ponds. I sure wish we had a pond here. There were so many flowers out in Missouri last week when I went to visit my family. I know just a few more weeks and ours will be out. That's one of the things I miss about when I lived in Southern Kansas almost in Oklahoma we would have so many flowers out by now. Of course we had 110 summer temps too.

Golden West said...

That last picture is some really classic architecture! I know it's in Florida, but it has such a southwestern flavor...

donna baker said...

We were separated at birth. I have birds everywhere too (inside and out). And, if you like to watch them in the daytime, see if you can get a hold of a night vision scope or binoculars. The night is alive!

Tilda said...

my lilac bushes leaf buds are just coming on now. just IN TIME for the snow we are supposed to get on Thursday and the morning temperature of 29 degrees! My perennials are several inches tall. Spread out over a large garden they are almost impossible to cover. I have lots of buckets and blankets, so we will look like Halloween there with odd snow covered recepticles. razzle-frazzle. We all KNEW it would happen when spring comes too early to Michigan...but we always hope it won't. (The freezes, that is.) Generally we get the hard freezes, just prior to Memorial Day when it is a sure kill of all the leaves and flowers. Drats!
Tilda, back to the wool socks. And I just painted my toe nails and washed my feet....

T said...

I love all your buds! Great photos. Your place looks so relaxing and beautiful.

lulu redstar said...

Nut! happy Spring! I know what you mean about the birds...I actually have a titmouse that lands on my head and plucks hair for its nest. I am resting on my chaise lounge during this assault. OMG.
it was 90 here yesterday...ugh.
stop by the ol' blog and check out the spring blossoms! xoox