Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The harbinger of Spring...

Big garbage pick-up...yayyyyy...

Hey, this is recycling at it's finest...they set it out, you pick it up...right...
I couldn't believe it when I saw these shutters all in a heap...
they are lavender on one side and green on the other!
The blue boards are shutters too and the door is white on the other side,
a few panes missing, but went did that ever matter...right...

...and this cool old wood table with an old painted linoleum top which I'm going to try and flip
to expose the wood on the other side...don't ya just love it...
and I'll be right back out there tomorrow diggin' through the trash...
I mean inventory...ha...

But, as I was driving down one of the streets, I glanced over my shoulder and saw this strange sight...

I knew they were moving this wonderful old home, but I wasn't sure quite where...
you wouldn't believe where they moved it from, a maize of small streets 3 blocks away as the crow flies...but whew, what a move...but isn't she grand!!!
...and not one curved glass window broken...dang!

I was really thinking kudos to the guy that bought it from the city for $1000.00, but then I found out he was one of our infamous slum-lords...
my bubble burst
I'm back to my pickin...

18 comments:

Jeanine Burkhardt said...

OMG!*!*! Most AwEsoMe FREE Finds!!! Way to go Sharon!!! and that house... Jeanine, ChiPPy!-SHaBBy!

sassytrash said...

Did someone put those out in the trash?? That never happens around here...or at least that I run across, darn it. What a gorgeous house...don't know how they can get them moved without structural damage. Hope it gets lived in by someone who cares for it, she is so cool.

time-worn interiors said...

You are so funny! Great pickin there! Rest easy the house move cost the slum lord at least $100,000.00! That's still a great deal for a house like that!
TOT

Golden West said...

Great house, great finds!

donna baker said...

Great finds. I should be so lucky.

Gracie's Cottage said...

Whoa - "hit the brakes Mabel - we're turnin' around" if I ever find anything half that cool at the curb!

willow said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

angelandspot said...

Wow! What great finds. I hope to find something as great as that someday. A few weeks ago I did find a few pet carriers out in the trash pile that will be useful for chicken transport.

summersundays-jw said...

What treasures!!! You Iowa girls find the greatest stuff. If you don't quit talking about them & taking pictures, we're going to have to make a trip back up north. It's incredible that someone could move that house. Jan

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Love your "finds" ! And, it looks as though the curtains are still in teh windows of the house ..wish you had found THAT on the curb!

High Desert Diva said...

Love the house.
Bah to slum lord.

vintagesue said...

love, love, love those purple shutters. not fair. no good trash where i live.
can't wait to see what you do with the table.
i have a blog award for you on my blog if you'd like it. been a fan of your blog a long time. thanks for all the inspiration....
sue

Linda said...

I just can't believe what people toss out!

Anita said...

you need a caution sign for the back of the truck during trash pickin season!

Val said...

this house is amazing!I've never seen that before!
Val

Rebecca said...

Good Morning
It is amazing how they move those houses but don't do it enough today. I have seen so many torn down here. Our house was moved here in the 20s with logs and a team of horses. Would have loved to have seen that but then I would be well into my 80s :)
Blessings
Rebecca

Jackie said...

I want to come picking in your neighborhood. What a treasure trove:)!
jackie
bliss farm antiques

Greyscale Territory said...

Some great captures here! I can't believe that such a big home is movable without some weakening of the structure! That must have been incredible to see! (I think I'd be taking photos from every angle!)
My first thought was that it looked like some brimmed fantasy hat!