Saturday, March 28, 2009

Shadow Shot Sunday-Arise


A humble cottage shelters it's shame,
a mass grave of forgotten beauty deep in shadow,
a forlorn image of what once was...
oh, will I ever walk in beauty again.
I pass through this barren plain of sorrows
knowing what hearts lie deep
in this earthen tomb.
A chamber excavated
to bury lost dreams
or perhaps to shelter the new hope,
as seeds await intervals of light,
germinating harmonious luminosity.
Yes, this hope chest
of anticipated glittering charms
will again please mine eye
and I and my cottage will again
adore beauty in my field.
Flourishing and flattering
a plain humble heart
with golden gems and rainbow-hued platoons.
Wee, little soldiers of enlisted, perennial beauty,
we await,
my cottage and me.
To don aprons of floral'd embellishment
and to burden buckets of gastronomic booty...
my one wish to you
my sleeping pirate of perennial bliss...


GROW DAMMIT!



As it's Sunday again in Australia, my friends from all over the globe, share shadows. As one unit in this simple meme, we thank Tracy and Hey, Harriet for bringing friends together. Making this one planet a small neighborhood of artists and dreamers alike.



As you can see from the photo, my yard was shredded for the installation of the new septic system...argh...but, as I always see my cup as half full, this will be easy diggin' for my new Victory Garden. An addition to my already bulging veggie garden and the strawberry plants that have taken command. This will be the new home of string beans and tomatoes, snow peas and Brussels sprouts, peppers and onions, eggplant and zucchini AND if I'm really lucky, I will get my hen house built...my chicky-condo for the free-range eggs that are packed with vitamins for me and the furry heathen.

So yes, though it looks rather forlorn at this time, my gardens will soon flourish with promise...a new look and a new venue...

peace and harmony in my little corner of the world.


28 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

I'm reading along, marveling at your prose...my one wish.....GROW DAMMIT!


Ha, ha, ha!

Happy weekend!

Wildeve said...

Lovely poem, I can identify- it's been such a long winter!

My sister is in Australia this morning so it is Sunday for her.

I absolutely love the Tiger Lily and butterflies. Magnificent! I had a SS for today but I think it's too late to sign up! maybe next week.

summersundays-jw said...

We would have a heck of a time getting a shadow here today. A dark & dismal Sat. I haven't been able to get my garden tilled because of the rain. Hopefully, this is our last bout with old man winter.

M.Kate said...

Lovely poem and what a shadow, happy Sunday Sharon..and yes, come on, grow dammit!!

cconz said...

What a gorgous pic of the butterflys. Oh sharon, it won't take long and that yard will be beautiful again!!!

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

Ahhh... the flower & the butterfly are jst a good sign of the spring coming.

So, lovely poem. What is your post without your good and smart phrases.
Loving them!

Have a nice w/end!

Greyscale Territory said...

Love the melancholic undercurrent to the slow pace of the poem and then your vitriolic outburst is priceless!

And then there is that final, wordless photo of a flower bristling with wild life (butterflies) and colour!

Quite a rollercoaster post!

Just o wow!

Gallery Juana - ギャラリー ワナ said...

I am still getting used to not seeing snow on the ground. The change seems sudden, although, I'm sure it wasn't for you.

Beautiful photo of the flower and butterflies.

I can identify with the impatient outburst at the end of your poem:)

Shannon said...

Those butterflies are LOVELY! Great capture!!!

Hey Harriet said...

You're an amazing woman to find a positive in your shredded yard! I like your garden plans. And a chook house will be super! Good luck with it all and I look forward to seeing the progress :)

The Summer Kitchen Interiors said...

Sharon - love it! We can't wait to see your "bloomin' garden" - we know it will be just what we expect - lush & beautiful! Yes....snow will come - but we look up to the sky and say "give it all ya got....who cares....it soon will be done!"
Enjoy the last snow!
Karla & Karrie

whizkid said...

"Grow Dammit!" :D :D

and that butterfly shot is simply superb. Looking forward to new blooms in your garden

ahab said...

Lovely poem. Best of luck with the new garden.

Rosebud Collection said...

Isn't it wonderful growing your own veggies? Having chickens are fun..I don't have any, but we have a coop on the property. Wonderful shadows..the last picture is just wonderful..we still have snow on the ground. It is melting, but taking its sweet time..then it will be "mud season"..can't plant here till end of May..

Raven said...

Grow Dammit! I Love it. Wonderful poem and photos. Spring seems to just be creeping in oh so slowly this year, but I guess her arrival will be all the more joyful when it comes. Happy gardening.

Utah Grammie said...

oh, my heart was sad,but when I read further and felt your hope - it was lifting - then - "grow dammit" and I laughed out loud..silly girl..you will have the most incredible Victory garden for the furry heathen and you!

That is the chicken said...

Great photos. I know that feeling...waiting for spring to truly arrive. We have snow where I live today. 10cm. This is not spring.

Carin said...

How good of you to have such a positive look at things. Oh I would hate it if my garden was shredded like that for a new septic system. Guess I would be happy with that too if necessary!

Good luck with all your plans, hope they all come true and hope those chickens will lay lots of eggs! Have a great week!

MyMaracas said...

What a wonderful photo of the butterflies! It must have torn your heart to have all those lovely flowers destroyed. It sounds like you'll put the new planting spot to good use, though.

Great blog you have here!

Your EG Tour Guide said...

The last line of the poem was a surprise and made me laugh! You seem to write effortlessly.

Good for you for seeing the positive side! A victory garden sounds like a superb idea!

Love the lily and butterfly photo. VERY nice!

Lisa B. said...

The butterfly shot is amazing! It sounds like you'll be having quite the garden this year!!

gourdshine said...

Fabulous photo! What a moment of being one with nature you have captured..

Jackie said...

Hey Ms. Sharon, Such soothing music-and of course great writing...keep it coming. Stop at my blog and enter my contest!

Lily Hydrangea said...

Very good!... LOL!
I feel much the same.
Those butterflies are awesome.

Katie said...

Your garden will cover that spot in no time! Love the tigerlily shot.

Meka said...

I know how much work it takes to grow even a small garden, so I commend you on the marvelous job you did with yours. I was sad to see the post that showed how everything used to look. But I can't wait to see how the new one looks.

Jenn Jilks said...

Great photos, I stand in awe of the marvellous photographers and artists in blog world. Thanks for visiting my photos!



You garden will grow back with loving care - been there, done that trick!

hejoko said...

Oh, that same lily growed in my mom's garden. There was lot of Old World Swallowtails, but this dark butterfly doesn't live in Finland.
So, sweet:)