Thursday, April 9, 2009

And what are friends for...

Well...for those who know me well, know that I'm borderline (round the bend) and always up to a challenge...Barb had a little treat for me, one that she just couldn't pass up, knowing my need for strange. It's good when us dealers know what the other likes and are always on the scout for such gifts of joy...ahhhh...body parts...the wheels they are a turnin'...


Meanwhile up at Sisters' yesterday, this little book of poems caught my eye as I was leaving Bloom, Barb had just brought it in, 'Thistledown' by Sarah Doudney. I have never researched any of the books I find attractive, but this one I did...for some reason. Sarah was born in Portsea, Hampshire, in England in 1841, died in 1926. Living for the most part with her parents all her life, writing children's books and hymnals. One of the things I found fascinating was the fact that her Father was a soap and candle maker, another, that she shuned the city for life in the country, with fresh, green grass under her feet and inspiration all around...where she could see the true color of the sky.

Now this is a woman after my own heart, to find the beauty all 'round and the comfort of home, a simple life for which to write prose and to ponder...'Thistle Down', a collection of poems, just my style...curl up with a cup o Joe as the evening twains...and read till Spring has truly arrived.


The country...always my friend...

16 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Lovely book.

Fun to do a little author research!

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Sharon, what a gorgeous book and sweet friend!

Utah Grammie said...

Oh that book looks beautiful! And, gee, sounds like she and you were kindred spirits - love of nature, peace and beauty.

I will look for that book- it seems like something to really enjoy on a long summer's eve.

Roses and Lilacs said...

What a charming book. I love books like that. I was curious and looked Sarah up. She has a lovely way with words. "Rumors, like thistle down, drifted on every wandering wind and may be carried--who know whither."

Somehow that eerie box of babydoll bodies does not fit with the image of reader of romantic poems. WooooooWooo, the dark side is calling;)
Marnie

willow said...

Wonderous Desplat. (((sigh)))

time-worn interiors said...

Oh, I love those body parts!!! What you gonna do with them?
Theresa

lulu Redstar & Lauri Evans said...

OMG. I can't wait to see what you make. Those are some good ones. The ones we saw in Texas on the shelves were porcelin, not good for cracking, and thats what we love. Lauri@chippys...

Nosferatuia said...

Very neat, so will we be seeing some new doll creations soon? I love the book and the last picture, I used to spend Thanksgiving and parts of the summer in my Aunt's old Victorian house in the country, I miss that more than anyone knows. Yes, you got me...there is definitely a goth inside that wants my house to transform into The Haunted Mansion :).

Sue Jackson said...

Thank you for the nice comment on my blog. It's appreciated. And what did I see when I looked at your blog just now. . . those "scarey doll heads". I did a post on them awhile back because we always carry them in our store and for some reason, they scare the crap out of me. I REALLY do feel bad for Rachel Ashwell. Each time she was at the store she was always so nice. She writes well, would love to see her write a book about our life. Take care, Sue

Shab-n-Chic said...

Love those little old books but I rarely come across them anymore. So I'm staring at that box of doll parts and thinking you could make one funky wind chime for your porch, but it wouldn't have the right chime..it would be more like clunk*clunk instead ting*a*ling...LOL

summersundays-jw said...

Love the book. I've collected several books that look like yours & sometimes it's just fun to pick them up & read for awhile. I also find that the older I get the more I'm drawn to the country & anything connected to it. Unfortunately, it's hard enough taking care of my little suburban space so doubt I'll ever get my country place. Jan

cconz said...

beautiful book sharon and a great little story about sarah. The doll parts!!! oh, what great things will come from them. you'll have to check out my lastest casuality, speaking of dolls.

donna baker said...

Why are they killing wolves? That is why I join Greenpeace, The Natural Resources Council, PETA etc. To make sure the other voices are heard too.

Anita said...

must have been destiny....

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色

藍心湄Blue said...

cool!i love it!AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色