Thursday, April 30, 2009

What to do, what to do...


This is just the coolest chest ever...I love the weathered patina, not quite sure what the patina is, but I love it. The dilemma arises when I can't make up my mind whether to paint or not to paint...if I paint this piece I'll paint it pure white and the natural crazing in the old varnish will naturally crack, showing an age to the newly painted piece. But the naturalness of the piece would look awesome against the backdrop of lots of white frames and odds n ends pieces of white.

And you thought CEO's of huge corporations had to make tough choices...huh...this could make or break the piece(in my world anyway). The chances of it selling white are good...the chances of it selling black are good, but the chance of it selling natural, well, that's another story.

Not many are prone to a piece with a rough unrefined surface, however, I do see it a lot in the decorating magazines these days. It gives the look of raw wood, kind of a woodland or driftwood feel, not stealing the show from everything else in the room, yet maintaining it's focal status right along with the rest...oh the decision...

But then there's the frames...to paint or not to paint...

Guess you'll have to stay tuned, cause these pieces is going to Palo...I have a perfect spot picked out...did I mention I love my job...

15 comments:

time-worn interiors said...

I don't remember that desk you show in the last post! Have you been shopping for yourself AGAIN!! Or am I blind?? You know me I wouldn't paint the frames, but the dresser is another animal!
Later SIS

Cindy said...

I just love the dresser in the natural state!!! I would paint the frames tho!! LOL... 2 comments, 2 different takes.....hope you're not taking a poll!

Altered Glass said...

Leave the dresser, paint the frames. Okay, 2 to 1 so far!

willow said...

I hate it when I can't decide. This one looks nice and mellow the way it is. It's a toss up.

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

We have a similar chest that was in this old house when we bought it. The lady was in the process of refinishing it...don't know if she was thinking of painting it or just refinishing it. I've left it totally unfinished and love it but I'm a natural woodsy kind of gal.

Roses and Lilacs said...

I guess I'm way out of touch with the antique market. I thought people still wanted to see 'wood' (restained a honey color with a heavy gloss of varnish). I'd better not comment because I paint everything white;)
Marnie

vicki archer said...

Go for it, xv

cconz said...

i want your job!!! i want to LOVE MY job!

The Attic said...

Don't you dare paint that frame on the floor..are you mad, woman? The dresser is a tough call. I think I would leave it hand a sign on it with the option to paint it for a fee. Hi Norbie.

Anonymous said...

Why not try it in the natural state for a bit, then if it is unwanted then you could always paint. It's a win/win situation. Either way it still is going to get sold. I want your job or at least I want to be able to say I love my job......some day.
Patty in Erie, PA

Greyscale Territory said...

I am sure the frames would get a paint over in my world! That's one thing I would do! But I think I would leave the dresser au naturel! It has such an ambiance about it!

Constance said...

I honestly think I bought the bed that matches that chest here in NC two weeks ago. This is so amazing as I am having the same problem. It has the bubbly, blistered finish and the same swirling trim that is on the mirror. I'll have to get pictures posted so you can see it on my blog. I was sure I was going to paint it white when I bought it but since I'm using tons of varing shades of white vintage linens I'm thinking maybe I'll leave it as is for a time.

Jan Ely said...

Too funny--I just returned home after a day of painting at www.roomwithapast.com, where I am a picker/painter! Not only do I often have the same dilema, I just finished painting a frame that looks very much like the one on the floor in front of your dresser! Want me to send you a photo so you can see how yours will look if it's painted white???

Sarah said...

In Elle Decoration this week there were pieces of furniture half painted and half not which I loved. It is a tough decision!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the email. Your home sounds lovely!