Monday, April 6, 2009

On the Fly...backroads

Ahhhh...the back roads...beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say...yes, I believe it is. I've driven by this old boxcar all my life, more dilapidated than ever, but still a symbol of the paths I drive in a lifetime.

These ol' homesteads and barnscapes are on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River and I do recall a better time for them.

Illinois farms on rich fertile river bottoms, once flooded frequently until the levees were built...but still no guarantees, this ol' man river can be a jokester.

A fresh coat of white paint slows the decay that would lay waste in no time to this ol' horse barn in these harsh Midwestern climes.

Yet a rustic charm still enhances these ol' relics...in an artists romantic eye...

Becoming more hidden with time...I see you ancient barn in your grey cloak of scrub...I hope time allows me to wander it's landscapes, with camera in hand and an occasional nose print in view, Scratch and I will be there to record and to smile...

10 comments:

Cindy said...

Ahhh......this is what I love to do, drive the countryside looking for those once loved old buildings. Beautiful post!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Sharon, I remember as a kid how prosperous the farms were. Always maintained and freshly painted. It's sad to see these hundred year old barns rotting. A symptom or our times.
Marnie

willow said...

Love the Desplat River Waltz!

trash talk said...

Sharon, you've just got to make a trip to Warrenton/Round Top to see how all the old halls, outbuildings, and barns are finding new life thru these shows! One girl even sets up in an old hen house.
It's all Texas-German heritage and you would love it. The whole area is a time capsule, add the bluebonnets and other wildflowere-voila, Magic! Debbie

sassytrash said...

What a beautiful and nostalgic journey....I was born in Illinois and even though we moved to Florida when I was 7, I remember those scenes so clearly. Wandering the backroads is my favorite thing to do, the buildings really talk to you. Thanks for the trip back in time!

Dianne said...

I love the tree in the last shot

Nosferatuia said...

I love the pictures. I have seen several old barns since I moved here to Nebraska and am quite enamored with them. I have wanted to take pictures but haven't had a chance to get good pictures because the fences keep me a good distance away. :(

Greyscale Territory said...

I too love the touch of art of old farmhouses lonely in wide open fields or scrunched into invading scrub! And old barns definitely find my soul!

Great photos!

High Desert Diva said...

Beautiful day for a drive....

Sara Chapman in Seattle, USA said...

Nice old buildings in the sweet sunshine here. Thanks for dropping by and leaving such a nice comment. Sparkly composition, indeed!