Monday, July 18, 2011

Goodbye old friend...

Alas, you become a monument to my past labors,
a humble yard ornament to remind me of
times past...and blisters!

My new best friend...
my Earthwise tiller/cultivator.
Having owned a Mantis tiller back in the day,
I loved the way the lil' beast handled,
it was light weight and easy to control,
but it was gas, so I was nonstop cleaning out
the gas lines trying to get the booger to start...
a lawnmower mechanic couldn't get it to work,
soooooooo...

I decided to go with the electric model...
it's so quiet, good thing for my neighbors since I'm
up with(before)the chickens...

My main concern was getting through the
brome grass that grows all over my meadow...
a cinch, it whirled right through it.
You can see how dry everything is, so the tilling
was easy. Maybe I'll plant a cover crop since
it's too dry to do anything else, it'll enrich my
sandy, loamy soil until the compost is ready.
I get first dibbies on Dad's maple leaves,
he has 3 huge trees...SWEET!

Still no honey bees, but the hummers are loving
the beebalm and Turk's cap lilies,
as well as the bumblebees...

Whilst I sip the nectar of the
garden goddess...iced tea,
sweetened with a bit of agave nectar...
ahhhh, sweet summer...
must you always leave!!!

9 comments:

Vintage Green said...

Hopefully this will cut your work down !!

Your bee balm and lilies are gorgeous by the way............

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Ohh..I've been wanting to try agave necter..is it good? Sweet? the tiller will be great..good for you,you tiller of the soil!!

trash talk said...

At least one thing is easy in this horrendous heat and drought.
I'll have to look into that little magic ride. My tiller gave up the ghost.
Deb

sassytrash said...

Nothin' more fun than a new power tool to play with!! I love that agave nectar....I put it in my green tea with lime and fresh ginger...Yum! Hope you get some rain soon!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

That old one makes a great lawn decoration. I have one with touches of red. Hope a cool rain comes.

Susie said...

Hi Sharon,
I have noticed few honey bees, lots of bumble bees and what we used to call sweat bees. It's sad.
Wow, you will be gardening like mad now :):) Smiles, Susie

Leigh said...

Well now, that's pretty nifty. Very impressive results on your soil too.

Have to say I love your bee balm. I've tried for 2 years to grow the stuff from seen but had nary a one sprout. Maybe next year I'll get it.

Eccentricities said...

Seriously, do you ever just sit still?!! Between all the veggies and chickens, who needs the grocery store?! Hotter than hell here in KC, too, hovering around 100. I'm with you, though, savoring the season since it seems so short compared to the lion's share of the year hogged up by Old Man Winter.

Peace, my Soul Sistah.
Goth

MyMaracas said...

This is such a charming post, capturing the essence of summer.

I'm sure you'll put that tiller to good use. It looks like a good 'un.