Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A new dawn...

Yup, I see my world in a different light...
I have an itch to homestead, to live off the land,
to leave a tiny footprint and with size 11, it ain't easy,
so to speak. But we all have size elevens when it
comes to change and our planetary footprints.

Yesterday I came inside to rest my old bones from
weeding the strawberries, so I picked up an old issue
of Mother Earth News, yeah, if you're my age
and an old hippie, you know of what I speak...
This is the article that jumped out at me...SWEET...
a 2009 issue, but it was singing my song!
This man, who is very close to my age and his 3 kids
have got it all together...

This is his home in Pasadena, Ca. before(60's) and
after, now...I love the shot of the (little)kids...

You have simply got to check out their site @
Urban Homestead
OMG...thanks guys, you give me hope for the future,
now if everyone would help and take on the chores,
just think of what great changes would happen!

as I perform my usual morning routine for the bug hunt...
I see bees...not the honey bees of which I seek, but
some other variety, more like yellow jacks,
but intent on flowers and not me, though I did notice
their aggressive behavior with a lone bumble bee,
chasing him from the lilies...
they were all over my squash blossoms and lilies!

though not so much on the cone flowers...

so my quest for simplicity and a good harvest
moves forward, as simple tools of the trade attest...
be a steward, it's a lot of hard work, but SOOOO worth
it in the long run, great food, EXERCISE...
and beautiful mornings,
as each morning there is a purpose...
and a season!

4 comments:

summersundays-jw said...

Oh, I so know where you're coming from! So many people are urgeing me to rent something when I sell my house so there's not so much to take care of. Just can't imagine not having my own place. Also, we have those dang Japanese Beetles again & it's so hard to get rid of them without killing the bees & I notice there are tons of bees this year. Happy farming!!! Jan

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

I love the way you think..and write. So much of what you have to say needs to be heard by many many ears..and then acted upon. You are a "WWW' (wise, wonderful woman) and an inspiration to boot..now off to the recommended site :-)

Gemma Wiseman said...

Adore wandering your earthy posts! I keep imagining my own piece of land and what I would love to do to bring back the joys of a simple life!

Sorry you had so much trouble opening my blog's comment box! A few weeks ago, that was happening throughout the blogosphere but I thought it was all fixed!

And at last my arm is spending some time out of the sling! Can't straighten it, but at least it is taking a little time to live again!

I return to work in two weeks after the school holidays! Hubby has to drive me because I still can't! But I am hoping that only lasts about a week! Not teaching full time because I still need doctor and physio but at least it will be a start!

Hope you had a brilliant 4th July!

Mega hugs dear sister!

sylvia cross said...

I've killed tons of Japanese beetles with a coffee can of soapy water,they always drop to the ground when threatened.Hold the can below the flower or leaf and shake the plant a little they'll fall right in,this way I'm not hurting the good guys.