Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Looky...looky what I found...

Sweet huh...what a find at Salvation army...
1946 copy of this French cookbook.
It couldn't get any simpler than this...

Two of my all time faves, onion and potato soup...

...and squab pie...
who in America eats squab pie...
and who knows what squab is anyway???
Immature baby pigeons, how sick is that,
but when you think of what the people had
available to eat back in the day, it is most
reasonable
and the city of New York, with their major pigeon
problem, not to mention high food costs,
may be fighting over these baby delicacies...
hey, I may be fighting my chickens
for the grasshoppers...it could happen!!!


But back at the farm, we are having drought issues,
rain everywhere but here...so I water...
what next!!!

5 comments:

summersundays-jw said...

Great cookbook! Don't think I'll be eatin' any of those baby pigeons. It's soooo dry here & hotter then blue blazes (100 today). I hate having to even go out to water. It breaks my heart watching a crew of Mexicans putting a roof on this big ole tall house behind me. They take their siesta for a couple hours after lunch (sleeping in the shade). I asked them today if they wanted to borrow my hose but don't think they could understand. So I went back into my air-conditioned house. Don't know how they stand it. Stay cool!!! Jan

Tilda said...

rain goes all around us. yesterday enough rain to pool on the highway as dil went to the big town to the north, with wind shield wipers on full speed. thunder and lightning to the south of us, we got perhaps 15 minutes of barely any rain. so i continue to water too. but the lawn is still green, and that we do not water..just the gardens and the new trees. of course, we have fields of hay down, so now it WILL rain. murphys law.

Anonymous said...

The never ending snow and now a drought. Who says life is easy?

Kathy

Susie said...

Hi Sharon,I can't believe you are needing rain,we feared too much was falling not long ago. This whole year weatherwise has been a bit mixed up. Too much, too little. Had one day of a very slow gentle rain...I like when it rains softly. As children , we ate rabbits and other game our dad brought home.....but I don't want any bird pies, thank you. Yikes.:):) Smiles to you girl,Susie

Leigh said...

Wow! Fantastic find! What a treat.