Monday, October 13, 2008

Shall We Dance...

All dressed up and nowhere to go...
I seek one last vestige of being
before the last dance.
Stout shoulders harbor
the longings of my future.
I steal away,
alone and restless,
to live long on my hillside,
protected, growing, resolute.

I wander into the closet
of winter's prevailing mode,
a certain change in my glow
relinquishes to languor,
listless and uncommitted,
I ride each storm.
Stark in contrast,
weathered bones cold
from harsh seasons past,
this clandestine journey
germinates into a grand fortress,
one single trunk
bearing the branches of self...

May I have this dance...


As Scratchy and I were driving through 'Weed Park' looking for fall shots, this single maple tree, glowing through the keyhole of oaks, caught my eye. The camera caught the image perfectly, but the nearness of winter and getting older, prompted me to thought. Changing seasons, cold, death in the winter, lifeless, giving time to reflect as we are locked away, I couldn't wait to write about it through my eyes.


10 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Sharon...your poetry just keeps getting better and better! That is such a lovely photo.

Utah Grammie said...

You need to write a book with your photos and your words....and I'll buy it! well...as long as you autograph it!!
Colleen

MuseSwings said...

Beautiful poem! Isn't that a beautiful little tree? My daughter and I were walking once many years ago in the early autumn. A newly planted maple tree was the only one in the area that had changed to a bright beautiful red. Jennifer stopped and pointed and said Look Mom! That little tree is having autumn! Your picture reminded me of that pretty tree and my daughter's amazement at it's beauty.

Greyscale Territory said...

Love that lone sculpture of colour! Yes! There is a sense of waiting on the sidelines to be caught up in the whirl of the dance. perhaps there will be a strong, macho breeze that will stop by soon and oblige!

And your poem offers more magic!

High Desert Diva said...

You've captured it in both your writing and the photo.

timeworninteriors said...

I've said it before, (WHAT A GREAT EYE YOU HAVE!) Can't wait to come and see you!
Theothertheresa

willow said...

I adore this poem, Sharon~! And it is perfect paired with the photo. Absolutely wonderful.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Lovely.

The photo is perfectly framed.
Marnie

Chen,Shun-Chuan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
vikki said...

we can dance! love your pics & poetry sharon! very talented lady, m'friend! very sweet repose! look forward to your pics & words! keep 'em coming~ hugs & blessings, vikki ♥