Saturday, May 23, 2009

Shadow Shot Sunday...Memorial, remember...


Have you noticed...
I'm here at your feet,
in shadow...
I'm an ordinary bird
I am Starling.
My voice is ordinary,
yet it sings songs of longing...
to be of another world,
the Mother'lund perhaps,
but my tree of life
now springs from the Catawba,
totem to the Catawba,
lost tribe of the South.
Who is this ordinary bird,
mediocre perhaps,
yet complex beyond first sight...
that is
if you notice...
songs that sing
of tomorrow,
never worrying
of today,
tomorrow will come
it always does...
yet,
this is no ordinary bird,
survivor,
visionary,
conqueror...
growing into each new season
a veteran
seasoned
practiced...
I will grow old
in your memory,
my Catawba
my tribe...
remember me
I am ordinary
but
I am...
memorial.

S.Wilson


It's Shadow Shot Sunday again down under...play the part...in shadow of course...go here please!

I'm an early poster here in the states, 'cause I'm off and running to my daughter's shop to work on Saturdays...every Saturday, so you get to catch my thoughts early in the day.

This baby starling followed me around the yard all day yesterday, poor Scratchy has to stay behind the locked screen, as there are many a new residents at the Pink Chateau, and she would dutifully munch them to oblivion...that is, if she had the chance and I'm too busy scaring off the neighbors cats, who would gladly munch on the baby birds too. Some would say...but they're just Starlings...but to me, they are my Sisters, we all share the Catawba.

But this old relic of a tree, the Catawba, formerly named, but mistakenly published as the Catalpa by it's discoverer...some English dude perhaps, but was a sacred totem to the Catawba tribe of Native Americans inhabiting S. Carolina for centuries. These Native Americans are now extinct in their full-blood capacity,
but mixed lineage survives today, trying to bring alive their once powerful tribe.

My tree is home to many starlings and squirrels each year, all utilizing it's holes for nestlings.
I love the smell of the blossoms when they flourish in the spring, helps me not to miss the smell of jasmine and orange blossoms of Florida so much...my Northern exotic.

So, all be safe this weekend...and remember to
never forget!


27 comments:

sarayutouched said...

...and you used the thought well!!! beautiful poem! no worries of tomorrow 'cause today is enough...simply enough.

have a great weekend my friend!!!

robin.

Gallery Juana - ギャラリー ワナ said...

Loved this poem. Reminds me that there is much more than meets the eye. Lots of life in your garden and trees!

PJ said...

I'm very protective of the chicks that show up in my yard. That's quite a tribute to Starlings. I happen to like them very much, they all play a part.

Altered Glass said...

yup, memorial, never forget indeed!

paisley said...

what a beautiful post, all of it not just the poem.. you always give me something when you write...

Sylvia K said...

Lovely poem and lovely shadow shots! And indeed, today is enough! Thanks for sharing and Happy SSS!

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

Lovely words and thoughts to the past.

Now, just living the simple and happy life. You always touch my heart every Sunday.

Hugs!

Brandi said...

I love the starling photo. Great pics and poem. Have a nice Memorial day and Happy SSS!

Hey Harriet said...

I like your little Starling friend. He looks very much like our Sparrows that we have here. Sadly, Sparrows are not very apprciated here either. Beautiful post Sharon and a happy Memorial Day to you and all the wonderful little critters that share your space :)

kbear's heart 2 said...

Love the bird shot and the poem too! beautiful!~kbear

MyMaracas said...

Lovely poem and post. Thanks for sharing this one!

bobbie said...

Very beautiful photos. Trees are such a wonderful subject.

whizkid said...

Thats such a lovely story accompanying the photos. You write so well :)

thanks for sharing. Have a great week!

Greyscale Territory said...

For some strange reason, tears welled in my eyes when I read this beautiful poem and saw the image of the starling. (Our starlings are black, so I was surprised!)

And the touch of shadow playing gently over the little one's feathers is quite magical!

Going back now to have another look!

twinklestarart said...

Sharon, you always manage to put things in perspective for me. Beautiful little Starling and beautiful post.

The Summer Kitchen Interiors said...

Being surrounded by nature is such an awe - what wonderous things you have living in that tree of yours! Can't belive that baby bird was following you so close....she too, knew you were "sisters"!
Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend Sharon!

Carin said...

We have many little birds like that around our house. They keep amazing me by flying low underneath our veranda to the otherside. Funny little fluttering things. A delight to watch!

sunnymama said...

Aww, the picture of the bird is lovely and the shadows are great! I enjoyed the poem too :)

Rosebud Collection said...

What a beautiful shot..I have been so excited, a bluebird has been visiting..Haven't seen one in years.
Wonderful tree, poem/birds and words..
I am late today, but better late, than never..ha, ha..

Linda said...

Beautiful photos and the poem is great, as well. I love birds and to capture one so sweet and so still. . .

Anita said...

I am assuming you are working on White. Hoping to be there next Friday afternoon...keep me posted on the opening...

Shab-n-Chic said...

Beautiful poem...have been thinking of you working hard today. Anxiously waiting the photos!

M.Kate said...

Happy Memorial Day Sharon, that's a lovely poem....and shadows too.

Wicked Child Designs said...

very cute shot. Happy sss :D

Sarah said...

That is a lovely poem. Your old tree makes a great home obviously. I love starlings, they are so perky and full of life. I had to save a young one from my cats the other day. They had it cornered in the yard. I think it was ok as it managed to fly away. the wv is nessing-so close to nesting!

Happily Retired Gal said...

Lovely poetry with your shadows today ... Sorry the rain spoiled your Memorial Day. I sure wish you could send some of that wet stuph our way where it's overly dry already and it's not even summertime yet.
Hugs and blessings,

ed said...

視訊聊天室,視訊聊天,聊天室,視訊做愛,視訊,做愛,情色視訊,情色,免費視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊交友網,視訊交友,美女視訊,視訊美女,A片,AIO交友愛情館,AIO,日本A片,免費A片下載,免費A片,A片下載,AV片,AV,A,情色A片,情色,AV女優,A漫,H漫,成人漫畫,UT聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,成人聊天室,成人,愛情公寓,色情網站,寄情築園小遊戲,情色交友,一葉情貼圖片區,微風成人區,微風成人,微風論壇,成人網站,成人光碟,嘟嘟成人網,成人影城,18成人,成人電影,成人影片,本土自拍,自拍