Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Toby...Puppy mills...




Who can resist...right...Toby is a Bichon-poodle mix and the cutest bag of bones you ever did see. Every once in a while you groom a puppy that is so good, they just sit perfectly for you on the table...well, trust me, Toby ain't one of them. After sleeping in his cage while I finished my other dogs, he got plenty of rest, soooo....let the games begin...

I wear a mask to protect my lungs from further abuse, but when I have a cute lil' heathen like this to work on, I am laughing constantly at the expression of his antics...not to mention continually fogging my glasses. What a hoot it is to do puppies and yes who can resist!!!

Which is my point on 'puppy mills'. They prey on the adorable looks of their puppies to lure you in to buying a mixed breed. Many, well over a thousand dollars. They are successful because they know you can't resist...and never take your children, unless you are willing to pay the outrageous prices.

A puppy mill is a person that raises puppies for profit. They don't have to necessarily have hundreds of dogs to be a puppy mill, it's just mass exploitation of a bitch dog into litter after litter for their profit.

I also groomed another pup the other day that was said to be a Bichon...no way...it was a mix of Yorkie and something, another was supposed to be a Papillion, it looks like a chihuahua...no kidding. The only way to truly stop puppy mills from ripping you off, is to research your breed, know what you are getting. Many times you could have a pure breed for the same cost as a mix.

Don't be fooled by the fact that they are registered with a club of 'mix-breeds anonymous' or some other retarded group of wanabees. This is truly what is destroying the quality of the purebred dog today, causing health problems, deformities and behavioral difficulties. Most people don't know that you can research your particular breed through an organization that rescues particular breeds. I looked up Cairns awhile back and they had so many needing adoptions, puppies and seniors, I was amazed. Every breed is out there, just look up rescued dogs for the breed you want. They have pictures and your family can choose the dog perfect for you right on line. All of the Humane Societies have same programs, you can see your dog online.

Do your part to stop puppy mills and unscrupulous pet exploitation.

11 comments:

trash talk said...

Here, here! Stop the madness. My sis rescued a boxer named Dempsey(what else!) and she has never loved a dog like she does him. Years ago, I "rescued"(paid for) a poor mama dog who had been a bitch for a puppy mill. I had to...she was too pitiful. You have no idea how much money I spent the first month I had her to get her healthy again. She was the sweetest Llaso Apso and my mother actually talked me into giving Trish to her for a companion. She was just a marvelous dog. The mother dogs suffer, the puppies suffer, the only ones who don't are the ones making the money!
But I gotta say, Toby is pretty darn cute...what a face!
Isn't it mind boggling what people will pay for what we used to call mutts.
Debbie

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

My Mom showed dogs for a long time and this has always been one of her causes...the puppy mills. Here, here...good post!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Sharon, a very sad topic. I blame our law makers for considering dogs as a commodity like bicycles. There is no law against keeping a female dog in a filthy 2 foot by 3 foot cage here entire life and selling her puppies for great profits. ( I hope there is a special afterlife waiting for those people.) Puppy mill breeders should be incarcerated 'under' the jail. OK, I'll stop ranting. I would NEVER buy a puppy unless I can see and touch both parents on the premises. Or get them from breed rescue.

Topic aside, he is such a charmer. Hope he has a wonderful home now.
Marnie

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

That is one cutie pup, can you package him up and send him to me, I want him, please....he's so cute!

Barntiques said...

I cannot have enough dogs around me. They make me laugh and cry all at the same time. If you come for our sale this weekend, I will show you our doggies. They absolutley bring so much joy into our lives. Thanx for your great blog. It is so fun to read.

cconz said...

Toby is a doll face. What a cutey. Puppy mills are my just another one of my causes. There is getting to be SOOOO many. Did you know that Iowa is the 3rd state with the largest amount of puppy mills.I think Obama still can get a pound puppy that would help. (people are such sheep).His house is big enough.

Utah Grammie said...

I will never, ever, ever do anything but adopt. My 2 rescues are the loves of my life and I would have 10 of the city (and Mr. B) would let me. I'd offer to "foster" but first, Lulu wouldn't like sharing her Mom and then I'd be sooo darned picky - and for good reason- that I'd probably never approve of a home for them :-)

When I adopted Braxton then Lulu, thye came out and inspected our yard and home and I was not in the least be offended - I was relieved!

So, I'm with ya there - and oh, what a treat to see those little faces!

Utah Grammie said...

PS - I went there and got the widget for my site too! Thanks!

Altered Glass said...

OMG if Toby isn't the cutest thing I have ever seen. Thanks for the blog on something that is so sad and so wrong. If people only realized what they are supporting when they are buying puppies from these types of businesses. Thanks Sharon for the blog.

One Vintage Hag said...

hi sharon,
loved this post. you are so very right. i bet this little cutie pie was a days work. precious little thing. so glad he has such a caring groomer.
woof,
~one vintage hag

Shab-n-Chic said...

Toby is adorable and a handful, I'm sure.
It just breaks my heart to see and read reports on puppy mills, but there was one recent RESCUE of 200 dogs that were about to be euthanized. Seems they had outlived their breeding days so they were of no use to the puppy mill monsters. It drives me insane when I see someone who just got a puppy form their local mall pet store. I don't get it..I never will. Well, here is the link : http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-lidog1212754662may11,0,1073897.story