Friday, June 5, 2009

Borrowed memories...

Travel down those gravel roads in the country, take in all the beauty and nature all 'round...notice every once in a while, you'll see a clump of lone iris, like sails of a schooner far out to sea. These are markers of a past long gone, where once stood a farm house new and bold...but now nothing but gray whispers of life, if anything at all.

Iris were easy for farm wives to cultivate, easily passed to one another by other wives, the colors and varieties brought bits of color and life to the chores of a woman's world.

The 'X' and I took many a back road day trip and harvested bits of tubers here and there, always leaving some behind as markers to future trav'lers, that happiness once abounded here.

All of these samples were wild harvested from old abandoned homesteads along country roads in Iowa. When I moved out, I brought all of my treasures with me, while leaving tubers behind to remind, that once a woman lived here and the iris brightened her life.

Borrowed memories...will these be left when I'm gone and the Pink Chateau is raised...bright gems of messages from a farm woman left behind for you and you'll remember me as the old woman with the jewels.

13 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Lovely words.


I went on an iris garden tour yesterday....

simplyiowa said...

I've recently noticed how important the Iris is. At my sale, we had many perinials, and a few Iris. People were so drawn to them, but fussy. Val had brought them, and I didn't know exactly what kind they were, yikes! The iris stories came out in full bloom! Everyone had a story about their favorite Iris, and where it was harvested from. Love your image of the old house, I could move right in!
Barb C

Golden West said...

All the women in my family have maidenhair ferns from my dad's 1930s childhood home. My grandma took some along when they moved in the 1950s, gave some to my mom, who gave some to me and my sister when we got homes of our own. Now my daughter has then growing in her yard, too.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Sharon, when I see old homesteads like that or crumbling foundations or just patches of flowers I think about the people who once lived there. Someone sat outside and shelled peas and looked at those iris. Someone married and brought a few iris from their parents home to their new place.
Marnie

Tilda said...

Like Marnie, I often think of the lives of the people who for a time lived in these old forgotten houses, where the iris and lilacs remain as a testimony that once people laughed and cried and watched sunrise and sunsets while the flowers watched on. I always scan fields for old stone foundations when I see lilac bushes where no house is longer visible. Did they know their flowers that brought them such joy would now bring me a moment of joy?
I believe it says something that
we view their flowers and think of them, those we never knew and never will, but for a moment in time, our paths crossed.
Robin has my grandma Compton's iris, that I brought to that house over 40 years ago. When they come out, I never fail to think of Grandma.
in my fondest.. Tilda

sarayutouched said...

my heart is swelled and overflowing...

donna baker said...

Beautiful. I didn't know the old places/farms had such colors of iris. Around here, I've only seen shades of purple. Also, pale whitish-yellow narcissus. We have two rock foundations left on our land, and supposedly you can tell where the front of the house stood by the bulb plantings.

Greyscale Territory said...

Fascinating how the iris could be a whisper from the past. Touch an iris near crumbling foundations and perhaps you touch a past life.

Beautiful!

anythinggoeshere said...

Just absolutely incredible iris! One of my all time favorite flowers. Your pictures are fabulous. I have not seen such nice shots of iris anywhere in blogland. Thanks for sharing and I enjoyed the old home pic, too. Have a great weekend. xo Joan

Rosebud Collection said...

Just beautiful..

gourdshine said...

fabulous to see the Iris.. I love the old-tyme beauties.. I'm going to plant white ones tomorrow.. lovely to visit

Rita said...

Lovely! Here the iris's are best know as Flag's. Don't know where the name came from but they do seem to wave in the wind.

Chris said...

I didn't know that about the iris, so interesting. I LOVE the old farm house. I used to sneak into the farm house next to my grandmothers. When they built the new house, they left the old one standing. It was creepy but drew me in at the same time. As I got older, trees and brush overtook it. It began harboring vermin so my grandmother let the local volunteer fire dept burn it down for practice. Sigh....thanks for the memories this morning!