Friday, June 19, 2009

I caved...

Thought we could use a little air conditioning this morning...I know, I know...so I caved last night about 2:30 in the morning...you remember those days as a kid when it was so hot you laid in your well-worn, seersucker jammies in front of the oscillating fan...remember the hum, as it lulled you to sleep, forcing you to cuddle up under the clean white sheets...ahh, those days are long gone, as we now have air-conditioning...a cold, stark atmosphere now settles over the rooms...

Well, the only reason I turn it on is for the heathen...it's been so cool at nights this year, that Scratchy hasn't shed all of her winter undercoat yet...and we've had so much rain, that I'm sure the mold is starting in the grasses again, causing her allergies to flair.

So no more wandering the prairies in search of the terrorist voles in the land of the pink chateau...Scratchy is banned to the fenced yard, where the grass is mowed...but, as you can tell from the picture, she seems content...(spoiled)...

But my air conditioner is set at 80 and only comes on when the hot breezes come pouring through the ol' screen door, as the afternoon sun creeps 'round to my front porch...then the lace curtains are released to filter the rays and windows are shut to block out the heat...fans at the ready...bring it on Mother Nature...sorry Beulah and Tilda up in Michigan that are still in sweatshirts...

More rains today, as I watch my tomatoes get the same blight they got last year from the cold nights and too much moisture...new strategy next year...container tomatoes! But the beans and peas and strawberries are loving it!!!

Is it summer yet...

9 comments:

Lori R. said...

Awww, Princess Scratchy, what a pic!!! We caved too! I couldn't do another night like the night before last. My allergies are bad even in the house. So the air went on and a good night sleep was had! Have a great weekend at White!!! see ya soon.

Lori R. said...

ps.. love the snow pic. Awww yes, extremes, that's what we are all about!

High Desert Diva said...

We had a muggy night last night, too.....opened the window wider about 2 am.....

So much for no humidity in the desert.....

More T-storms expected today......bah!



*sends cyber kiss to Scratchy's belly*

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Sharon, I planted about 12 tomato plants in the garden (as usual, I give 90% of the fruit away) but I have 4 in pots this year. The potted ones are way ahead of the in-ground plants. I have small green tomatoes on 3 of the 4 already. It isn't too late to buy a largish plant and pot it up.

Last night was muggy. First night I had trouble sleeping because of the heat and humidity. My cats don't complain--it can never be too warm as far as cats are concerned.
Marnie

Jeanne said...

Getting pretty much the same weather here....

Tilda said...

Odd you mention Michigan weather. I was just thinking of how my thermal long underwear might look under my jeans shorts and if I could get my thong sandals on with my heavy gray hunting socks! Oddly the first of the week I saw a woman crossing the busy highway to her mailbox and she HAD on long underwear under her shorts. It was not attractive. See what long winters do to sane people?? But then I am not sure I was always accused of being sane either. Perhaps that's why I think so highly of you!! Birds of a feather or something like that?
in fondest.. Tilda
no airconditioning on here
AND my latest news (ARE YOU READY?
Fritz the Anaconda is DEAD !!!!!!!!! Ron killed him off yesterday by accident with the hay mower. Broke him up into pieces. I know you can see my BIG smile. I am planning a memorial for him. NOT!!

Happily Retired Gal said...

Methinks if I lived where YOU live, I'd cave too. Of course here all I need do is open windows ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Anita said...

we caved this weekend too...sleep is just so important....you should have SEEN the rain in Mt Vernon yesterday- I mena RIVERS in the street....imagine you had it too...but none in our basement , and no one injured- so we're no worse for the wear...the yard I just seeded is another matter.

Jean Tuthill said...

It has been cold and rainy here in NE since March. We've only had about two hot days, and I haven't even uncovered my AC yet. Still using two comforters on the bed. I'm not wishing for the heat, but I would love to be able to garden in comfort, without so much rain.