Thursday, June 25, 2009

A thing for shacks...


Am I in Florida...somebody wake me, I must be dreaming...it is so hot and humid this morning, now all I need is the call of the Sandhill Crane and the setting would be perfect...

This photo I took on a drive while still living there...this is so me! What is it about shacks, is it the patina of the weathered woods, the little porches added on here and there,
the history that must've been foretold behind these ragged walls...what...?

All I know is I love to take pictures of them, however, living in Florida for 3 years, I saw wildlife and bugs that would make your skin crawl...and have seen my fearless terrier cringe at what moves in the dark.

So for now, I'll take the shacks of Iowa, crawling with weeds and grasses and years of weather changes, snows and unbearable heat, 'cause this is my home and my heart...

Heartland living at it's finest, once long ago...home sweet home...

11 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Those buildings have stories to tell...

paisley said...

i have an affinity for old abandoned structures myself.. there is a silent beauty in them.. if only we could coax some of the stories out of them,, oh what a web i am sure they could weave....

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

I too love taking pics of old houses. I'd like to explore them if I didn't think they would cave in on me or I'd get arrested for trespassing or worse yet a snake would be there. It's still never stopped me for exploring them from the road.

trash talk said...

Is #2 a shack? I'd move in there before a cat could lick his...paw!
I am partial to old shotgun houses. I would love to move one into the back forty (translation, side yard). We went to Louisiana last month and I saw some wonderful abandoned ones. I'm trying to convince Cat Daddy to go back with a flatbed and get me one!

Utah Grammie said...

I love those shacks too. Think of the storied they could tell..Maybe we associate with them because we too, have stories, are well worn, need love and are still standing strong!

cconz said...

Crazy bill and i have ventured into some of those abandon houses to see what we could find. Sometimes we are surprised at the goodies. I'll post 1 particular find. But, usually we are chased out buy BIG sow racoons. Bill can't keep out of old buildings.

summersundays-jw said...

I love the old abondoned shacks too. I have such an urge some day to go in one and hang crisp white curtains at the windows. Jan

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Sharon, at least Iowa doesn't have much in the way of poisonous critters. You can poke around til your heart's content and never die from a snake bite.

I love the old buildings to. Sometimes you will peak inside and see old calendars or magazine pictures they used as art work on the walls. And broken chairs and rusted metal...
Marnie

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

I can only imagine the stories those old walls could tell. Speaking of bugs, while living in Florida, I hopped into the shower and lo and behold...a palmetto bug was on the ceiling. My husband said not to worry as they don't fly. Yeah right! It landed on my shoulder and my ears are still ringing from the scream today! They are HUGE! I'm with your dog..

Greyscale Territory said...

Adore old, crumbling homes, sheds, barns, mailboxes and church ruins! They have a certain spell that draws the imagination and a sigh for romance!

Chris said...

Oh you should have been in our car with us today. Barns, farmhouses, and all sorts of things past their glory days.