Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Home Tweet Home...








We all love decorating our fancy homes, it's no different for our feathered friends. Since allowing my bluegrass to go to seed and the prairie grasses to take over, I have never seen so many birds as I have this year. The yard is full of birdsong...

Little fledglings taking first flights, moms and pops guarding offspring from predatory cats, hoards of bugs being chased and consumed...a natural order of things.

I remember a few years back, before I started letting my yard go back to Nature, I was sitting on the porch with binoculars in hand and was wondering why there were no birds...anywhere...it was totally silent. That's when I decided to non-conform and start to zero-scape my yard.

However, I do mow right around my house, to slow Scratchy's grass mold allergies and grass fire hazard, but the rest of the 6 acres is natural. But that doesn't mean 'no work', you are constantly pulling noxious weeds and tree seedlings, that's a must or you'll have nothing but a weed patch.

But the natural prairie soon takes over and the wildlife returns and all is good at 'The Pink Chateau'...

14 comments:

nonizamboni said...

A sweet reminder of letting wildness prevail. Great photos and inspiring thoughts, as always :O)

Golden West said...

Six acres!!!! That's a big chunk of land! You must have quite a variety of wildlife making a home there - how wonderful!

High Desert Diva said...

A garden without birds is a very sad place.

Let's hear it for non-conformists!

Anita said...

I liked the mini pink chateau best...until the red and white striped one..that would be MY house if I was a bird.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Sharon, did you find some tomatoes? I was lucky to find some heirlooms at our local greenhouse that were already grown out to about 2 1/2 feet tall. They already have green fruit. Won't be long.

I agree, prairie is difficult to maintain. The parks burn it off in the fall to kill the weeds and destroy their seed. That might be a problem near the house. Good for you, a lot of work but wonderful for wildlife.
Marnie

Lori R. said...

Love the birdhouses!!! and the birdsongs are the best! What a wonderful treat early in the morning.

willow said...

We have quite a few well loved bird houses around WM, too. I thought four acres was a lot!! :^)

dulcy said...

I love this post! My house is also amidst some wildness. Just a few days ago, a box turtle has joined the birds and squirrels beneath the bird feeders. I put out veggies for it, and the sweet thing gobbles them right up. It's shell has been painted partly green, and I'm wondering if it's been a resident here for many years (before us, a family raised 4 children, and lived in this old rock house for 40 years!). Well, who knows!

simplyiowa said...

Hi Girlie!
Lips are on the mend! The show was very good... I had very affordible finds, highest ticket,,,375.00, and that was an early Iowa wardrobe with original paint. We shelved it out, I was actually going to keep it, I sold a wonderful 8 foot pine harvest table for 300.00. Ironstone and transferware plates, 10.00 each.
The key is today, good stuff at good prices!
Hard to do, but if you work hard, it will happen!
Hope to see ya soon!
Barb C

Chris said...

It is so refreshing to see the word tweet and have it have NOTHING to do with twitter these days:)

vickysplace1 said...

I am your age and have the same outlook on life. Your homestead and bird houses are adorable. Sweet Dreams!

M.Kate said...

Very tweet..hehe :P

summersundays-jw said...

I find these days that my birds are loving my birdbath since we've been close to 100 the last few days. Wish I had more wildness but not sure how my neighbors would like that. Someday maybe I'll have a few acres in the country. Jan

donna baker said...

The wild grasses and growth looks beautiful. I have always wanted to do that but my husband is a mow freak. I don't think it would work around here anyway. Ticks! Millions. They love shade. I'll just have to look at your oasis.