Thursday, June 4, 2009

Puppies...Humane Societies...



Are we not the cutest...Phoebe and Jeb...two lil' Shihtzu rescued from our local Humane Society. I've been grooming Mary Ann's dogs since the beginning of my grooming career nearly 35 years ago. Although retired from the biz for 11 years, starting it back up again and being able to work out of my studio, has given many an old client pause for elation, as good, compassionate groomers are hard to find.

I've always been a dog lover, as a child, my dog was always at my side and constant companion in all of my childlike fantasies...and I had lots. This compassion led to my cause for the wolf, which has been dear to my heart always. Hoping that someday ranchers and conservationists would come to an even ground on what is best for both.

I was married to an avid sportsman for 20 years and I was amazed at how many bullies and show-offs there are in the field. My husband was a conscientious hunter, hunting one on one with the animal, it was never about the trophy, but the food source. He never took more than we needed in the course of a year and always hunted alone, loving the aspect of being one with the nature of things.

But then there are the others, that see predators as a fun killing spree...shootem' while you can, great sport...sure they eat a lot of game birds, but it's our footprint that has caused loss of habitat...overpopulation...when will we wake up, there is only so much land and resource to go around.

Please adopt pets...don't breed or buy from puppy mills(pet stores)...

11 comments:

Greyscale Territory said...

I did not know that pet stores were called puppy mills. In fact, I did not know that pet stores were so "anti". I'm learning.

Those little dogs are just adorable! The cutest faces!

Altered Glass said...

Great message to bring awareness to a problem alot of people aren't aware of. I am not a dog person, but with kitties, there is the same problem...

High Desert Diva said...

Have you ever read Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer? Brilliant save the wolves piece....among other things.

Roses and Lilacs said...

I can't believe those darlings ended up at the humane society. Who would pay the prices they ask for Shihtzus and then dump them at animal services?

I understand what you are saying about responsible groomers. Many I've seen get downright cranky with the dogs and don't do a real good job of grooming either. You have to be careful who you leave your dog with.
Marnie

misselaineous said...

Oh, those faces! Am amazed that they ended up at the Humane Society. Why do people buy these dogs with no commitment?? I'm a cat person myself and recently rescued a male & a pregnant female from a careless neighbor. We managed to save one kitten, and had both adults spayed & neutered 2 weeks ago. The babies a female, so in July she's off to the vet for spaying. Doing what I can for my little corner of the world...*elaine*

Shab-n-Chic said...

They are just too CUTE! When I saw the title of your post, I pondered grabbing a tissue first. At least this is one happy ending. I can still see uncertainty in their their little faces. They must have had a difficult life and probably don't have the best of memories being in a crate. I'm sure they are quite loved now!

nonizamboni said...

These are precious and would certainly make the point of rescue of pets! I wholeheartedly agree with your post + I had my pal Penny by my side too when I was little.
happy Thursday!

Utah Grammie said...

Awee - they are soo soo sweet! I wish you were closer- you'd be our ONLY groomer! Love all the pups :-)

paisley said...

the pups are absolutely adorable.. and i am in full compliance when you say adopt dont buy from a breeder.. there are so many dogs looking for homes.. my last four i have got from adoption situations and i have been thrilled with and filled with love for each and every one of them.. in fact i would say it wouldn't be long till i am adopting another one,, although i think i'll stick with whats on my plate for awhile as puppydom is something i had forgotten all about.....

Chris said...

Awwwwwww.

I miss having a dog so bad but we can't give one the attention I think they need currently:(

Brooke Ahana said...

I couldn't agree with you more about adopting...We have a cock-a-tzu, Ophelia. Charmaine told me to check out your fantastic nightlights - creepy wonderful. I found a weird doll head outside Monticello Antique mall in Portland, OR. (before driving up for Farm chicks) and will try to think of some way to incorporate it into my art!
Care to come to West Hollywood to groom Ophelia? Teasing - Brooke