Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tools of a trade...not for the timid...


I've pulled out of storage some of the tools of a
taxidermist...in storage for over ten years,
they'll again be cleaned and put to the test,
as butchering time is the Autumn season...
sorry, but it's the way of it when you raise poultry.
I just happen to know a skill that will not waste
any parts of my birds...
There isn't a fine line between pets and poultry,
pets are pets and poultry are a food source, you have to
separate that thinking, sorta like growing a garden
for a hobby or actually living off your product.


I will show you some of my past art,
a Wood duck drake and hen, can you see her
peeking out of the hole, wood ducks nest in tree holes.


One of my first crows, stealing an egg...
I'm self taught, learning with each bird my craft.


A woodcock, badly shot up, but not wanting
to waste, mushrooms and a butterfly
help to hide flaws...


a flying Canada goose, very large birds, not easily
formed into place...


Common Merganser...


my very first job, a pair of crows...


Mallard drake and Greenwing Teal drake...


Wigeon drake...
Now I know many of you are grossed out
by taxidermy as much as I am about human
overpopulation, however, we as a species have crowded out
and sent to extinction many wonderful species and are
dooming ourselves as well, but I understand the honest,
natural culling to keep populations disease free.
My husband was one of those conscientious hunters,
one on one with the animal, no hunting in gangs
and we consumed every part of the animal, so
taxidermy was a natural for me, no waste.
I thanked every animal spirit for it's gift to me,
it was a ritual I performed on every bird.
My biz was called 'Feather in the Wind',
my ritual, releasing one feather back to the
Universe.

I am an animal lover, but I am also realistic...
wait till you see the bones I found on my Sunday
outing...SWEET!!!