Sunday, June 29, 2008

After the river departs...





These are shots of our beautiful riverfront and the main thoroughfare running by our downtown shopping district, our shop was half a block from here. You can see how the roads are impassable. Our city, over a week after the waters receded, still has not removed the mud from the road, which has added to the traffic snarl in the downtown. All of the free parking on the riverfront and leased parking was under water contributing to our already stressed parking problem. You have low-rent housing that takes up our spaces and for the life of me, I don't understand why some businesses and their employees park in front of their stores and mine...all I can say is 'lil' bitty brains'...This is the reason Lorie and I are closing our store, there is nowhere for a shopper to park. I have heard it over and over again by the locals who would shop downtown but there is no where to park. When asking city officials when are you going to clear the parking, they say we have more pressing issues. They are creating the death of a beautiful historic downtown, 17 empty storefront and more on the way. This is nothing new in the retail world, but my hope is someday the overpaid city officials will see the big picture...WHATEVER...

6 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

We had the same problem in the little town I used to live in. The shop owners & employees would park out front, leaving no room for customer parking...then they would complain about lack of business. Hello!!!

Sorry to hear you're in the same situation. Hopefully your change in biz plan will = more sales without the stress of having a store front!

Hey Harriet said...

Sorry to hear that. It's an unfortunate situation, one that happens a lot with small community businesses etc. It's sad that more & more indie stores are forced to close. All the best with future plans for your venture. Yay for online opportunities at least :)

Greyscale Territory said...

After your beautiful comment on my blog, I had to seek you out! It is almost heaven here! Adore your pink chateau! I so wish I could retire, but that will never be I am afraid! Starting life over when one is older is a tough road. But can't shange it! So I am determined to find all the happiness I need with my precious soulmate. The bills can wait I hope!

All the very best of good fortune in your ventures!

Off to explore more of your site and blog!

LuluRedstar/Lauri Evans said...

Holy Cow, I saw that very road on cable news...but they were in a boat.
What's up with the 'TOWN FATHERS"? Maybe that's the problem....don't want to start a gender war but honestly...if more of OUR species were 'handling things' maybe we'd be in a better place...somewhere over the rainbow perhaps....
ruby-shoed-xo....lulu

Roses and Lilacs said...

It's a shame! We have the same issues here. They spend millions of tax dollars to "revitalize" areas of town but don't provide parking.

Good luck.
Marnie

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

It's sad that you've had to close your business, so many have had to this year. While the economy is up in the air and no knows how hard it is for shop owners to keep afloat, I'm sure you feel as I, that this is your passion and when you can't do what you love, well...just makes it frustrating sometimes! I do hope things get back to normal there and shops someday revive again!