Saturday, June 7, 2008

Simpler Times






Kalona, Iowa, rolling hillsides drenched in lush green prairie grasses...corn and soybean fields newly planted, waiting the horse drawn plows and cultivators, such is Kalona, Amish country. A 45 minute drive for me to Sisters', but driving through farmland, is not a drudgery. I feel a little humbled though as I drive by the horse and buggies in my big pick-up, the people are friendly and often wave, makes me yearn to be a part of their humble existence...can you see me hauling a load of furniture to Sisters in my buckboard...see ya in the fall Barb...NOT, but I can dream the dream and live my life as simple and as humble as Scratchy allows me.

5 comments:

Shab-n-Chic said...

Well, I CAN see you hauling a load by buggy to Sister's with Scratchy on your lap, but Sharon..can we really live without internet? Yikes! I'm afraid I would go bonkers. :(

Sweet Repose said...

NOT !!!

Sweet Old Vintage said...

I understand what you are feeling... I think we are lucky we can have a simplier life and still have all the luxury we choose also. I still try to life and so things I love the way they use to be but also love some of the great up to date tech... I also feel that is why I love surrounding myself in antique and vintage is what I love. It gives me the warmth and security I enjoy. So we can have the best of two worlds if we choose to do so. I still believe people do not know the joys of family sharing.. at meal time like I was raised and raised my family. They are so busy eating and running they miss out on the best of the best... Keep life as simple as possible but still enjoy all else....

Utah Grammie said...

I love the clothes hanging on the line photo! Yes, the simpler life is a great thought - but like the other posters, I'm afraid I'm electronically-Dependant!
Colleen

LuluRedstar/Lauri Evans said...

Thanks for letting me see a part of the country I've yet to explore. It's all so lovely and fading away too quickly.
I dry my clothes on an old fashioned dryer (4 sided that goes up&down like umbrella). It makes me so happy.
xoox lulu