Tuesday, February 24, 2009

At the shed...





















A boutique...a word I haven't used in a long time, but a sign of the times upon us. Each of us has a particular vision in our burg that demands a certain style and Friends Candle Shed has been in our town for 15 years...10 of it owned by my daughter, as she transformed my old biz 'Friends' into the full service candle shop that it is today.



Two summers ago my daughter lost her husband in a courageous battle with brain cancer. Matt and Piper built the 'Shed' into a fun-loving icon in our historic downtown, one that people from all around the area visited regularly to buy soy candles and have their cleaned out jars refilled at a reduced rate, thus saving them money and lessening the footprint glass jars have on the environment.



Friends Antiques was the vision of me and a dear friend Cathie, This Girls Art, who upon a visit one day to Sisters' Garden, decided we needed to do an antique shop too...so the story begins, but I have to laugh, Cathie is not one to easily part with her favorite things, so being in the antique biz as a seller, was not her forte and she continues to collect her eclectic style today, but that's a whole other post. As her gardens start to flourish this summer, I'll do a post on her wonderful antique filled cottage, you'll love it!



So on we go to what the shed is today, a shop FILLED with neat old stuff and funky new stuff. The antique shops of old are no longer desirable to today's savvy junkin' yaya. A mix of old and new fills the shop and gives it a certain glow to fill many needs...or dreams, with prices more easily managed by young new homemakers...and us old trash-pickers...let the retail therapy begin...SHOP TILL YA DROP!



We love you and miss you Matt!!!

13 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

The Candle Shed looks great; lots of goodies in there!

Nice post re: Matt.

willow said...

Lovely pic of Matt and Piper.

Wish the Shed was in my little neck of the woods.

paisley said...

oh how i wish there was a way to live amongst such bountiful bouquets,,, and never have to dust..

Hi ! I'm Cindy said...

Oh what a fabulous boutique!! Would love to visit.....

A very nice idea of refilling candle jars!! Whudda thunk....recycling at it's best!!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Looks like a very interesting shop. I wonder why there is so much difference in shops here and there? We only have a couple little shops left in Rockford (CSA population 420,000+) not counting the antique malls which I avoid like the plague.
Marnie

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Be still my heart - this shop looks like heaven to me!

cconz said...

girl you were right i can't part with anything. Now i have to buy a building to put more stuff in. How bad is that. Thanks for the compliments friend.

Utah Grammie said...

He looks very handsome - I am so sorry for the loss of such a young and vibrant life. You daughter is lovely - and they looked happy. It's something a Mother would never have espected - for her young daughter to become a widow so young - and you lost him as a son.

The "Shed" is a perfect tribute to the man, the community and hopefully, one day I'll stop on by and say hello as I choose my candle!

Please send Piper my love - and hugs to you too! (and let's not forget Scrathcy!!)

Jeanne said...

What a tragic loss -- it's good she still has her Mom!

Lori said...

The shop looks great! I can't wait to get home...What a great pic of Piper and Matt. My, how we miss that smile but if we look up and close our eyes, we can see him looking down on us all, shaking his head, smiling, thinking "what are you crazy girls up to now?"... see you soon as I miss my best buddies!!
Lori R. in FLA

M.Kate said...

Wish I could visit.

Anita said...

I so agree that antique shops just need to adapt--and you gals certainly ahve. Who wants to look at miniscule crapola in locked cases?

Have a great weekend with you guest. Why is this the weekend I am going to Kane? I'd love to meet up...

Anita
iowajunkgypsies.blogspot.com

summersundays-jw said...

How sad to lose your husband when you're so young & most of your dreams are ahead of you. She has a wonderful shop.