Thursday, February 12, 2009

Snow...no snow...




Tis a melancholy time indeed for all of us poor slobs North of the Mason-Dixon. When Winter's ugly head sprouts the warm face of Spring, we are all deluded into a fantasy world of seed displays at Walmart.


The urge is so strong to get out and work the dirt of our ancestors, to till the warm fertile soils into glorious productions of foods and floras...that we lose ourselves. Fools rushing 'round in the outdoors, sporting spring jackets and flip flops, sucking in the sweet nectar of warm moist air and plentiful sunshine...how soon we forget, as our folly has led us to nights of NyQuil and mounds of spent Kleenex, all in the name of the Rites of Spring... foolishly led astray into the depths of a 'Spring cold'...argh...
Not me, ol' fool hardy friends...I fully intend to wear the wools of warmth till the fat lady sings...'It Ain't Over Till It's Over'...funny though, by Summer's end, I am longing for the seasonal shift into the warm cuddly flannels and fleece. Shunning the flip flops and the Capri's for more sturdy jeans, some with flannel lining and the fleece lined jackets of the lumberjacks...ahhh...Winter again is upon us.
Alright...enough already...where is that damn fat lady...now I long for the flip flops and the shorts and the tees...the sunburn and the long days, floral scents adrift in the warm summer airs. Cicadas and mosquitoes, June bugs and Mayflies...
Sorry, I'm obviously delusional, but it's the longing for the warm toilet seat that moves me to such displays of emotion...unless you've lived in the frozen tundras of the Nor'lunds or unless you've sat bare-bottomed on a tombstone, you have no idea the pain and the longing for Spring...and the warm sweet obsession...

11 comments:

trash talk said...

I totally understand where you are coming from...maybe not the snow part, but my greatgrandparents' old homestead didn't have an indoor facility. We would have to fight our way thru the guinea hens to get to the outhouse. Then when they got all "uptown" and put a bathroom on the back porch. we had to sit on the coldest seat in the house. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything...except a heated seat! Debbie

MuseSwings said...

I'm with you here - even with my cozy spot in the land of sunshine with winter undulating in for a few days at a time I seesaw between wanting to wear a comfy sweater and my sandals. Sometimes I just wear them both at the same time. I sure don't miss the coldest seat in the house though!

Old Crow Farm said...

Oh you make me laugh! Its so true, by the end of summer I'm urning to wear my sweaters and by the end of winter I'm cursing it!! Looks like we're going to get more snow than you, ha lucky us! jojo

willow said...

All of our beautiful snow has melted and we have that dingy grey smashed earth look now. I had to take off my snowy blog header and replace it. But you're right, it's not over til it's over!

summersundays-jw said...

I've never set bare-bottomed on a tombstone but I do feel your pain (& why on earth would one have a need to set bare-bottomed on a tombstone?). Hurry up Spring! Jan

Lola Enchanted said...

popping in to say hello!!! and hope you have a fabulous Valentine's Day!!!

Linda Sue said...

I guess it is the extreme of weather that gets me- we have had temporate weather until recently with the earth changes- I do not look forward to the biting cold of winter nor the sizzling heat of summer- I do not enjoy the wildness of the tree ripping wind in the fall and spring- well, it is just too damned brief...like the life I complain about...

white o'morn cottage said...

Thanks for a great laugh...sitting bare bottomed on a tombstone is something I have not tried yet!

High Desert Diva said...

You're too funny.

kellypea said...

I've never lived in a place with the winter I know you experience each year, but even I know the agony of a cold toilet seat. Love your writing...

Jeanne said...

Not a big fan of spring -- too much promise, too little delivery. Seems like it's always longer, and colder, and wetter than I remembered. Give me a long, lazy autumn, full of cloudless days and crisp nights!