Sunday, February 1, 2009

Rapunzel...Rapunzel...




I had no idea the comments that last post would receive about the hair thing, it was about all my bloggy friends and how we've become such fast friends...BFF...and how you are always there for a friend in need...it was about you. I know change is good and I have plenty of change going on in my life, I'm a Virgo remember...an unsettled soul. And like so many with long hair, it was a release for you, a lightness and sense of freedom to cut it short...I would be like Hercules...lost without mine...oh, the nightmares!!!
I have, all my life longed for long hair, against the better judgement of others. Once in high school I asked my BEST friend to trim an inch off, she cut 6 inches...so much for that friendship. My daughter has the same trim affliction...trim the fringe, really means three inches on the floor.
EVERY beautician says you would look so much better in shorter hair...I think they just get scissor happy. The best beautician I ever had was in Colorado...he was a gay Native American with fabulous coal black hair to his waist. He carried his comb and scissors in a leather loin cloth wrapped 'round his jeans. He said 'girl...don't ever cut them locks, I'll make your hair glow'...and he did...well if you got the picture there...I was putty in Bruce's hands and my hair was to die for...but alas Bruce moved to Texas and I was at the mercy of them...the other beauticians.
I have never liked short hair on myself and have never been afraid of looking older...you know what, it comes like it or not! I have always had the vision of an old woman sitting alone in her rocker on her porch listening to Nature, moving her long braids from the bowl of peas she was shelling, never thinking it a hassle, sorta like pushin' yer glasses back up yer nose...get my drift, she has poetry to write and birds to watch...important stuff!
I'm a loner, unharnessed by the whims of others, satisfied with my world...although my heathen could use a little wranglin' now and then...but she's such a good mouser, 18 so far this winter and the smiles she brings make it all manageable.
So friends and family, like my Great Grandmother before me, the long hair stays. The one thing I will always remember about her as a child, was the braided bun this stout German woman carried atop her head, as she drove me 'round the yard in a clothes basket, you know the kind, with the oilcloth liner laden with fruit pictures...sittin' in my little red wagon...As an adult my Granny always told me...'you look so much like Ma with yer hair up in that bun'...I guess that's my legacy too...
To dream by a stream and put flowers in my hair...

18 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Mwwwaaahhhh!

Jeanne said...

Yay! (Mine was past my waist in high school, and is now a bob, and I'm good with that, but I think you have my vicarious hair.)

MarionL said...

First, I LOVE your pink house. I want your pink house! (I live in a brick house, but it is surrounded with herb gardens, flowers, willow trees, etc.) I'm a poet, too, and love "stuff". Would love to have a little shop just like yours except with lots more books! My husband is tired of making me bookshelves. I have 185 books of poetry alone. I could live without the most of the other books, but not my poetry!!!

I'm in my mid-50's and after keeping my hair spiky short (had it waist length in the hippie days) for the past 10 years, I decided to let it grow and save a fortune on haircuts. It's been a little over a year and it's just past my shoulders. I love it! I say do what makes YOU feel good! Your hair is beautiful. Your blog is great and you live in an amazing town!

Linda Sue said...

Your hair is exceptionally lovely - it is YOU! I think the reason for short hair is because most people can not actually grow hair- I cannot and have always envied your kind...When I comb my one hair in the morning I think of you and say"better luck next time, Linda sue".

Wildeve said...

Yay, the hair stays. I'm glad. I have long hair too- I don't like mine short either. (I've tried it.) And everyone wants to trim it 6-8 inches to "keep it healthy"...Argh. Your Bruce was a true gem.

paisley said...

well good for you ,, you made a decision and seem satisfied with it..

i am not big on short hair either.. that is one reason i get tired of jobs that require my hair be pulled back,, or up,, i like my hair,, even if it isn't that long any more,, and i do not feel that the one thing i really like about myself should be tied up and hidden...

i think yours is the bomb... glad you decided to keep it.....

M.Kate said...

Sharon, you've really got a way with words. This is such a fun post and I enjoyed reading it so much. Well, long or short, as long as it makes you happy, go for it!! Pushing hair from the pea soup..hahaha...well, I shouldn't laugh, very soon it will be my time :D

summersundays-jw said...

I so admire a confident woman & you definitely have confidence. We just don't want to hear any complaining during that long, hot Iowa summer -- oh, guess you've already lived through some of those. Love the story of your hairdresser who moved to TX. Have you checked with any of your Texas blogging buddies to see if he showed up in their town. That would be the perfect excuse to take a trip to Texas. Jan

Carletta said...

I love this post. I too have long hair and every once in a blue moon I think I'm too old and should cut it. The feeling always passes. :)

You have a beautiful blog.

Utah Grammie said...

That's what I have always admired in you- a decision is made and you stick with it! I love the look of hair - any hair- it's like a frame on a beautiful painting - and I love the individuality of all who have hair and the greatness of the bald head as well! When I "see" the words you typed about the woman on the porch, I see visions of Tasha Tudor..beautiful soft eyes, even if wrinkled and tired. I too am embracing my (soon to be) 60's with the heart of thankfulness for the journey and looking ahead to furthering that journey and life-lessons.
So, let your beautiful long locks blow in the wind! Yeah for you! Yeah for me! Yeah for all of us "sisters"!

willow said...

Thank goodness. Your glorious hair is your trademark!

trash talk said...

OK girl, give! Where is Bruce in Texas? Isn't it funny that most women will say cut your hair to look younger, but men won't? It is our crowning glory and our choice as to how we wear it, whether it be a petite tiara or a big ol' velvet crown. Our hair doesn't define us, but it does represent us. I raise my glass to the musical "Hair". BTW, is the first question people ask you(after can they touch it) is "does it give you headaches"? Just wondering. Deb

Roses and Lilacs said...

Sharon, I could see you by that stream weaving wildflowers in your hair. (Of course you'd come home with chiggers and ticks from sitting on ground in the woods, but it would be worth it;) A ritual of spring. Ah, those romantic photos, but they never tell the whole story.

I had long hair for a while. It got in my tooth paste, in my food, in my eyes. It gave me a headache to pull it back.

We all go thru phases, don't you think? Then we change our mind and enter another phase. Not just hair but every aspect of our lives.

Lorie M. said...

Ha ha I love it. Your hair dresser sounds lovely, I'm picturing Daniel day Lewis in Last of the Mohicans..he could have given me a mohawk, and I wouldn't care!!:-)
How fun this post is. I love your writing style. btw, I have long red hair, and dabble w/cutting it too, just too lazy, I guess!

white o'morn cottage said...

I think your hair is quite lovely in the long braid down your back. Also could be gorgeous pinned up or twisted into a french roll with a few unruly strands escaping. Ohhh....
Mine will soon be long enough to twist up and pin. It really is much easier to keep than the latest style that grows out in a few weeks. I go to the hairdressers once a year!

vikki said...

whoo hoo, m'dear friend!! like i said in the other post your hair is your trademark... & your free spirit ~~ take it where it moves ya! we loveya no matter what! hugs & blessings, vikki ♥

Lady Jane Vintage said...

Hey, your post conjured up an old childhood memory...:) I grew up in a quaint old village and had many elderly neighbors. One in particular, named "Mrs. Green" lived 2 doors up from us. Mrs. Green was a super tall and "sturdy" lady who kept to herself and very rarely spoke to anyone. I remember every week or so in the summer, Mrs. Green, who always wore her silvery grey hair "up" in a big ole' "bun", would wash her hair and to dry it, she'd drag a kitchen chair out to her side yard and let her long locks dry in the sunshine. I remember for us kids in the neighborhood it was SUCH an event, we'd literally stand and stare at her from the sidewalk. We'd just oooh & aaaah over her loooong locks that literally hit the GROUND they were so long.:) I think part of the fascination as a child, was just to see Old Mrs. Green with her "hair down"!:) Now that I am an adult (and I use that term loosely - hee hee!), I wonder, what thoughts were running through Mrs. Green's head as she sat, with all us kids just standin' there on the sidewalk, like a captive audience? She never, ever said a word to us, or even looked in our direction - She just sat quietly, head tilted upward, eyes closed, basking in the sunlight...:)

Jackie said...

Good choice my good friend! I think your streaming hair suits you...