Sunday, February 1, 2009

Rapunzel...Rapunzel...




I had no idea the comments that last post would receive about the hair thing, it was about all my bloggy friends and how we've become such fast friends...BFF...and how you are always there for a friend in need...it was about you. I know change is good and I have plenty of change going on in my life, I'm a Virgo remember...an unsettled soul. And like so many with long hair, it was a release for you, a lightness and sense of freedom to cut it short...I would be like Hercules...lost without mine...oh, the nightmares!!!
I have, all my life longed for long hair, against the better judgement of others. Once in high school I asked my BEST friend to trim an inch off, she cut 6 inches...so much for that friendship. My daughter has the same trim affliction...trim the fringe, really means three inches on the floor.
EVERY beautician says you would look so much better in shorter hair...I think they just get scissor happy. The best beautician I ever had was in Colorado...he was a gay Native American with fabulous coal black hair to his waist. He carried his comb and scissors in a leather loin cloth wrapped 'round his jeans. He said 'girl...don't ever cut them locks, I'll make your hair glow'...and he did...well if you got the picture there...I was putty in Bruce's hands and my hair was to die for...but alas Bruce moved to Texas and I was at the mercy of them...the other beauticians.
I have never liked short hair on myself and have never been afraid of looking older...you know what, it comes like it or not! I have always had the vision of an old woman sitting alone in her rocker on her porch listening to Nature, moving her long braids from the bowl of peas she was shelling, never thinking it a hassle, sorta like pushin' yer glasses back up yer nose...get my drift, she has poetry to write and birds to watch...important stuff!
I'm a loner, unharnessed by the whims of others, satisfied with my world...although my heathen could use a little wranglin' now and then...but she's such a good mouser, 18 so far this winter and the smiles she brings make it all manageable.
So friends and family, like my Great Grandmother before me, the long hair stays. The one thing I will always remember about her as a child, was the braided bun this stout German woman carried atop her head, as she drove me 'round the yard in a clothes basket, you know the kind, with the oilcloth liner laden with fruit pictures...sittin' in my little red wagon...As an adult my Granny always told me...'you look so much like Ma with yer hair up in that bun'...I guess that's my legacy too...
To dream by a stream and put flowers in my hair...