Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sweet Songs of Love...















I love the pictures on the fronts of romantic old sheet music. Music to woo a lover to spoon on the old settee in the parlor. Can you imagine the kids of today spooning...there's a word for you Willow, the lost art of 'spooning'.



I am TOTALLY illiterate when it comes to playing an instrument and who hasn't wanted to be able to play the piano, especially us hopeless romantics. I always wanted an old Victorian piano just to sit in my parlor, just collecting dust and holding a treasure trove of collectibles...like baby doll heads.


But I also love to frame these sweet covers, they just show an emotion of a time in turmoil, war and the great Depression. Also a time when love had a whole different meaning than it does today and men TOTALLY thought of women in a less than equal mode.


We've come a long way baby!!!

11 comments:

Old Crow Farm said...

First I must say that your comment "it ain't over till its over-Iowa winter" made me laugh so hard. We're supposed to get 6+ inches of the white stuff on Friday. I must thank for showing the beautiful sheet music covers. I have been working on a project in my mind, but I need some kind of decorative paper and sheet music covers I think is the answer!! Have a great day. jojo

trash talk said...

Those covers are beautiful. I think I actually know the tune to Vagabond Lover! I really love the Gypsy in the gold frame. That's what I want to be when I grow up...a gypsy tramp!(I already got the tramp part covered.) Debbie

Utah Grammie said...

Those are lovely - perfect for the week of Valentines! And, I like them MUCH better than the doll-heads!

Connie Peterson said...

I have lots of old sheet music - never thought about framing them - just have them in my piano bench. Interested in them?

I love the pictures on the covers, too.

willow said...

Our piano bench is full of vintage sheet music like this that WT has collected over the years, mostly Irving Berlin songs. The covers are so nice. I should frame one or two! Nice post, Sharon!

High Desert Diva said...

Yes, we have come a long way!

cconz said...

Very cool sharon, Your right, sheet music has the coolest art work. Most are suitable for framing. Sometime all i need is alittle reminder on how neat some things are.

Wildeve said...

Just in time for Valentine's day. Spooning! Now that was romance.

sarayutouched said...

If spoon was the only thing kids were doing these days...good grief. They are growing up to fast!! As always...love your pictures, love your words...LOVE YOUR MUSIC choices!!!

Snow has significantly deminished here...but the forecast holds more in store. That's okay, I've tasted spring...I know it's coming. Even think I heard a robin today!!! Better days are indeed coming!!!

M.Kate said...

What a lovely collection :D

vintage sue said...

how wonderful those song books are. all my sheet music is boring and hardly vintage. i love the pretty ladies on the covers of yours and the photos you took make them look even better.
thanks for the post.
v.sue