Tuesday, February 10, 2009

On the prowl...Manley's Antiques


















Well, my search for 'Crack-head Babies', has taken me to Manley's. You can never have enough scouts out prowling for your goods.


When you walk into Dave and LeeAnn's shop, the smell of fresh finish is in the air, as Dave is lucky to have a workshop in the back of his store. They also live above the shop, which is two building attached in river-city style, but opened to each through a brick arch that was put in when they bought the two buildings. They have a beautiful view of the Mississippi River across the street from their second floor.



They have painstakingly restored the two structures inside and out, making them a perfect addition to the historic downtown district. A city that once teamed with throngs of shoppers and industry, a fascinating history in deed and one worthy of investigation...sounds like a posting to me...hmm...

9 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

I've always thought it would be perfect to live above the store....

trash talk said...

I've never heard of river-city style, but it sounds kind of like a dogrun? Love the dry sink! Deb

willow said...

My fave is the crusty little one in the first pic.

Roses and Lilacs said...

I just bought a cupboard very much like that first photo. Mine was the awfullest shade of Pepto bismol pink;)

Terry said...

Dear Sweet Repose,
That was really nice of the guy to let you take pictures.
In Welland, they see you with a camera, they immediately tell you, "No pictures".
I guess they think that you are fleecing out the joint so you can return in the wee small hours of the morning when the store is closed eh?

I looked up your other post on Manley's Antiques and it is so good!
Just think, in the right hands those beautiful pieces of wooden furniture would come out as gold!
So much character they have!
So much work too, eh?
But it would be worth it.
Before we moved to our little house, we were living in a three story house and had lots of room and lots of antiques that we would be working on "one day", but alas when we moved, we had to give so much away.
We did mange however, to keep a few finished antique chairs, end tables and my piano and a china cabinet that is over a hundred years old.
Do you have a lot of antiques in your little pink house, Sweet Repose?
Well, I better say so long for now and hope you have a great week, a warm looking forward to spring week!.
God's blessings...............from Terry

time-worn interiors said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
time-worn interiors said...

In the right hands? I think I would break somebodies hands if they even thought about refinishing those beautiful, crusty, crackle painted pieces at Manley's! I love old paint and that's why I like shopping at Manley's cause they got the best! Sorry! Gotta call it like I see it!!
Theresa

Utah Grammie said...

Love this shop! Wish I could see it in person. The buildings sound delightful - and to live above the shop? Perfect!

cconz said...

Say girlie, i'm going to have to make a trip to manley's. It's been awhile. I'd agree with time worn, it's one of MY favorite shops. Leeann sure has a knack!!!I'll keep my eyes out for you too, HEADS, HEADS.