Tuesday, May 4, 2010

...and how does your garden grow...

Soon...luscious strawberries will be the battlefield between me and the resident robins...but ya know, it's a trade-off, cause they eat lots of bugs and aerate my yard looking for worms, so eat hearty my lil' red-breasted friends(within reason)!!!

Beans, beans the magical fruit...well anyway, these are yellow wax beans, the green beans are on the other side of the garden adding nitrogen to a new patch of garden...always expanding, I also planted the spaghetti squash over yonder. It's vines have plenty of room to grow out to the field and up the old fence...mmmmm...yumm!

We'll see if the broccoli makes it this year...it had just produced 4 inch heads last year, when something came in and ravaged them ALL overnight...I have no clue what it was, I couldn't find any tracks, but I suspect coons. No bugs could eat that amount over night, unless they were super bugs and thanks to Monsanto, the bugs these days have become super bugs!

Purple cabbages, these are so beautiful in a garden, you just must plant and not to mention the yum factor here...can't wait for fresh coleslaw!

This is the second year for my rhubarb, so you know what that means...rhubarb cake and
Willow Manor had the perfect recipe awhile back...I must go back and find it...
like I have time to bake right now...ha!

Just a typical Spring morning out my front door...there are many beautiful states here in the USofA that I would love to live in, but being born and raised in the Heartland, it's hard to get out of your blood...the lush growing season and fertile soils make it a gardener's paradise...
the winters suck, but boy when spring gets here, there is an appreciation that fills your soul...
a renewal in faith that a new beginning is at hand and to appreciate all that we have while we have this short space in this one lifetime...
till we come back and start this soul journey all over again...

We got the keys yesterday to the new store, so now we can run with it...got the gazebo up and the counter painted, so all day tomorrow we create the displays...I would like to be open for biz next week...all of our salable merch is out there, so I can sorta be open in the afternoons until we get the stove moved out there and Piper can get ta cookin'...

SOON!!!

...and I hope to be able to stay awake long enough to visit all my bloggy friends...
I miss you guys!!!

16 comments:

Gatherings said...

When I moved I set up the front of the store first and just opened without really announcing it. That way the front part looked good when they entered and I could keep working on the back mess and sell a little at the same time. Good Luck! Wanda

willow said...

You have been one busy little bee! Best of luck with all your fun endeavors.

Greyscale Territory said...

O wow woman! I think you must be a human octopus! So you've been gardening in your sleep eh? That would have to be your only spare time these days! Even your posts sound breathless! But ah the returns are worth it all! Soon you'll be sitting on your front porch and simply enjoying the view! Well, maybe for five minutes while you dream up your next escapade!

summersundays-jw said...

Sorry but the real words are "beans, beans the musical fruit". Your garden looks amazing -- how did you get all those weeds out with your schedule? Wondered if you remembered to plant your purple hyacinth beans I brought you. Also, I have a great rhubarb cake recipe on my blog from a few posts ago. Take it easy & don't forget to breath. Jan

Gatherings said...

That is exactly what I did! Filled the windows with cool stuff and covered the backs with paper until they got the painting done. THey did the front and let them in. Gotta get cash when you can! Take Care Wanda

Rusty said...

Hmmmm - so perhaps I better have a serious talk with my local raccoons. Thats what happened to our broccoli too. It could very well be - tsk-tsk. Now listen here guys - leave my garden alone and we will still be friends. (Very big grin). And I must remember to add rhubarb this year. I can't wait to get the tomato plants in - the chives arealready there waiting for those sandwiches...ATB!

Kelly Aaron Mosaics said...

Keep up the good work! The garden looks great and I bet the new shop is really coming together!! I know I tell you this again and again, but everything you touch turns to fabulousness.

Hugs,
Kelly

Bart van der Vaart said...

Great blog! I'll follow you!
Please follow me @ http://justflirtingwithtime.blogspot.com/

32˙North said...

Amazing how fast your vegetables grow there! The garden will be a great place to relax from all the work getting the store open.

T said...

What a great garden! Love the photos. Good luck getting the store put together. Wishing you much success in your new location.

MARY PERNULA said...

Love the garden outside you have, it looks like it is doing well.........Goodluck on the new store set up. XO MARY

sassytrash said...

You are inspiring me to put in a veggie garden--never had one in this house. I had a great one in FL, so it should be way easier here! Wish I had a new venue to get excited about--enjoy it, even though it is a lot of work. I just have job-hunting to look forward to--UGH!

tagskie said...

Nice blog you got here... Just droppin' by to say hi! http://www.arts-and-entertainment.info

Lori R. said...

shoot girl, you have been super chick busy!!! Your garden goodies look soooo good. I haven't even gotten many things planted and now the threat of frost for Friday night,,, argh!!!
This is my last week at the greenhouse, so I hope to be seein' you next week. Take care, mom #1...

hollyhock garden antiques said...

i love your blog ! yes i have a shop its small its whats in my pictures i have 15 outhouses i put up a picture of some thank you

M.Kate said...

Happy spring Sharon :) I havent tried growing vege yet as the garden is just a small patch, but enjoy these greeens anyway. Hugs/M