Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A good day to breathe...

A new day begins
listen, the awakening
beckons your heartstrings

The iris blooming all around my farmstead were planted by woman whom also loved this lil' home. She lovingly planted them all around it's perimeter and every spring since, they've bloomed, welcoming each day.
I pondered getting rid of the old tractor tires set 'round here and there, but she also painstakingly planted each one with sedum. This was the fashion on the farms back in the day, you used to see them on nearly every farm.
With these wet springs we've had and my careful nurturing of the delicate plantings, they've really started to stretch out into the yard.
This is an herb garden that keeps growing with every year, sprinkled with bits of reminders of my love of Florida.

I pulled this bench from someones trash heap...SCORE!!!
I'm just starting to work on filling it's space with greens, but the sedum is really taking over right there, so I may just make it a permanent home under the bench.

Got my fingers and toes crossed, that the varmit that ate my broccoli last year, has moved on...

Gonna work on this piece I picked up at Good Will yesterday...
all it needs is a good beating and some new handles.

Now I have everything...including the kitchen sink...and an outdoor potty...

The purple cabbages are really taking off with all the rains we've had, though I had to spot water yesterday, because I have very sandy, loamy soil and the winds blow constantly 'crossed my prairie plains...

This was once my veggie garden, but is now quite a nice strawberry patch, they love the sandy soils, as do I, the weeding is a cinch!

The fruits of my labor...
Yup...yet another pan of delicate morsels to please this country girls palate...
ahhhhh...life is good on my lil' piece of paradise...

Iowa
and the Pink Chateau...

10 comments:

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

That first picture with the sun and the porch and the iris just sings of hope and goodness! What a perfect place to be.

And the last picture..oh yum!

Thanks for sharing these joys!

Tilda said...

Your gardens and lawns are so much farther ahead of ours. My plants are just nicely coming. Grew like crazy in late March, early April, but the cold frosty nights did them in. I think all my iris froze. Yesterday the kitchen (outside) thermometer said 108 in the sun, the covered porch one said 90, and the farmhouse inside one said 84. I, myself, was somewhere in between. VERY hot. BUT, not complaining...well much anyway.. I worked in the garden regardless. Just one big sweat stream and dirt from head to barefoot toe.
Needless to say, I don't have my wool hunting socks on!
LOVE the gardens..don't know how you find TIME to work them and do everything else TOO!
in fondest. Tilda

cconz said...

Your little oasis looks so inviting. I love the grandma look. Not so perfect and not so cookie cutter. I picked up some strawberries at the store, But..... not as juicy and good as home grown.

angelandspot said...

It's beautiful! I wish we had more flowers around here but I hate to spend the money on them if we are going to have to move someday and leave them behind like I've had to do too many times before. I had a few strawberry plants but the chickens kept getting to the berries before me. LOL The past few winters did them (strawberry plants) in though.

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

The blue irises are so beautiful! And your garden is looking great...Julian

Golden West said...

So glad that you are enjoying some time in the garden after the days and days of packing and moving. Always good to take time to savor these beautiful spring days!

Kelly Aaron Mosaics said...

Sharon, your gardens look wonderful! I can't believe they were dormant and snow-covered just a few short months ago. I dead headed some roses tonight and cleaned out the birdbaths. It's so much fun to work outside in the dirt!

donna baker said...

Sharon, it looks beautiful. You are going to have a ton of strawberries. Freezer jam made with them tasted just like they're fresh the day you picked them. Sure Jel will tell you how to make it. It almost makes itself. Send me some of that energy.

time-worn interiors said...

Oh I love strawberries!
Tot

Jackie said...

Great pix, great sentiments and great Strawberries...I think the tire garden is perfect too.

Jackie
bliss farm antiques