Monday, May 31, 2010

Never Forget...





.....
Please don't be offended by this but the American flag in your final picture in honor of Memorial Day needs to be respectfully retired. One of my biggest pet peeves is shabby American Flags. It is not an honor to display a tattered, faded, fraying, etc. flag. It is the symbol of all we hold dear in this country and needs to be as pristine as possible. Your local chapter of the VFW or DAV usually has a ceremony at least a couple times a year to retire worn flags with honor. Have a wonderful Memorial Day.


This was a comment on my blog yesterday and I feel that I must defend...and please Nank, do not be offended by my comment.

I am an antique dealer, I have many old things in my stores, a respect and love for the old things of my country are reflected in those stores.
I personally own 4 vintage American flags, I love AND RESPECT each and every one of them, none of them are for sale...they are mine to cherish and display the honor that they hold dear to me...
AMERICA... my land of the free...

I am not a warrior, I have never fought in service to any war or madmen, I deeply oppose occupation of any lands and it's peoples, but I do honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice by displaying my vintage flags...to me it shows a respect that moves forward with the times, yet preserves a history of my fellow Americans gone before me.

What would Betsy Ross say to having her flag retired and shut away from all American eyes...
I will continue to display my old American flags and continue to tell everyone that wants to buy one of them, that they are not for sale...
and I am VERY proud to own them.

Everyone, have a wonderful American holiday and...

Never forget

PEACE


BTW...the flag in the first shot has been turned right side up, just not in this photo...so not to be alarmed vets...



12 comments:

Gatherings said...

I too love the old flags. Do not give me shiney and new. That is not history!

hollyhock garden antiques said...

i respect the flag i put up a new one for my mom and dont let it touch the ground we live in the middle of no where no one is watching . that planter took two of us to tip it in the truck we want to make them to we have been collecting glass some day. do you mail your soap you tempt me thanks

Sue (Vintage Rescue) said...

I agree. The tattered and worn American flags, to me, signify the place of honor they have held throughout the years, through generations saving them. I'm not uber-patriotic, but would much prefer to see a time-honored flag than a new one.

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

I also agree I too love the look of an old flag. I have several in our collection which are kept inside of our house. We have a new one on the outside that hangs throughout the year. Happy Memorial Day to you...Julian

ladyhawthorne said...

I too have an old 48 star flag that is falling apart. I did display it on the wall until it became too fragile. I miss having it out to look at and remember.

Tilda said...

The new flag hangs proudly outside, replaced each year for the Memorial weekend. The MANY faded flags I have kept or found are in the house, and proudly displayed too. Properly, no, perhaps, but still viewed and revered, just the same. Give me an OLDE flag any day. They speak to my soul, the same as the new ones with their bright colors flying in the breeze does. All flags take your breath away in their beauty and meaning.
Tilda

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Well said Sharon, I always look for "vintage" flags and pass up the new ones for this reason. I wouldn't give up my vintage flags for anything, they do represent history that the newer ones do not. Love it.

Display Centres said...

We should show respect for our country's flag because it is the country's highest and most recognizable symbol, and the way you treat it is representative of your attitude towards your country.

Gracefully Vintage said...

I really like all of your American inspired designs there or images, there is something wholesome and lovely about it- Great Blog, just became a follower of yours- i like your design and many ideas
Karryann

concretenprimroses said...

I think that there is a difference between the public flag that you put on a pole outside your house, and an antique that you display, as an antique and part of history, inside. Museums have early american flags that they wouldn't dream of retiring.
Kathy

MyMaracas said...

Honoring a tattered old flag also honors the generations who came before, who defended and served under it.

"Retiring" a flag involves burning it. How is that better? And how many historic flags have been lost this way?

Rusty said...

As we show respect for old and tattered flags that have been through the mill, so to speak - as we show the veterans - some in similar condition, determines our place as a civilization. My grandfather would run up the flag at dawn every morning and take it down every evening all through WW2. The flag continued to fly until his two sons came home. It then would be flown on special days for many years. (It was a tough old Union Jack). There is a place of honor for even old flags IMO.