Friday, June 4, 2010

I am so sad...

The Gulf of Mexico tragedy...
So tragic it's hard to comprehend...
who is at fault...
Rush Limbaugh says the Sierra Club and all of the tree-huggers are to blame because we won't allow drilling in the pristine areas of the Arctic tundras
and Sarah Palin's Alaska...

DUH!!!

My beautiful, ancient Mighty Muddy...
the majestic Mississippi River.
waters so polluted, I doubt that fish will ever be consumable again,
in my lifetime anyway.

We are now so focused on the gulf that we forget what man has done to the rest of our waterways...
disgusting rivers and streams once teaming with fish and wildlife, now littered with man's waste and pollution, chemical run-off from industrial wastes...
farm chemical run-off, factory farm run-off, human waste run-off.

This is an ash dump site, a scar of shame on a hillside not far from my home. Waste from a power plant negligently dumped on the landscape.
How clever, this site over-looks farm ground that has drainage ditches carved through it so more farm land can be put into production...is that the 'G-word' again...
GREED...
Well, the run-off from this power plant(clean coal), a toxic mercury laden slurry runs into the drainage ditch and to the shores of my Mississippi River...
and the EPA warns you of mercury lead poisoning from paint chips...
WHAT A JOKE!

The fact is, why are you blaming Obama...this travesty has been going on since the industrial revolution began, we are ALL at fault, the single biggest factor is GREED...it's all about the profits!

Each and every one of us pollutes this pristine planet on so many levels...
we waste and we consume!
Think about it...how big is your footprint on this planet
and what are you willing to do about it!

This is just a wake-up call America,
are you listening to the talk on the winds...

We humans, all are to blame...

13 comments:

willow said...

Excellent post, my friend.

MARY PERNULA said...

Amen,,,,,,,,,,,wonderful words, written so nicely. XO MARY

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

Such an important post, to remind us again of how horribly we treat the earth, and really, who can we blame? We need to look at how we consume, how we use and discard things, how we are to our earth.

Greed can no longer rule this earth.

Thank you for this!

SK Waller said...

Well said!

SK Waller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Yes. We are to blame..each and every one of us who wants bigger, better, faster, blah blah blah. I know this sounds silly, but when the recession hit so hard, I thought maybe it was a lesson..that we want too much, we think we NEED too much and maybe getting back to simpler things was in order..but then we just ignored it for the most part..now this..are we NOT hearing the message?? Maybe God, or Spirit, or Karma, ow Buddda or Allah..but WE"RE NOT LISTENING..and we call this "progress"?

OK, I'm jumping off the soap box for now...try to have a good week-end , tend to Scratchy and your land..and thanks for yopur post today my friend..

donna baker said...

Ignorance and greed are the main causes. I thought I'd like to move to a small island; no government, politicos, ceo's etc. But then the river of plastic would probably ring my little paradise. It is saddest, to me, for all of nature and the animals.

Sweetpea said...

My goodness, what a thought provoking post ~ many good words you've said here!

Hi, I'm just stopping by via Willow's manor...saw your comment over there and it was the name 'Sweet Repose' that drove me to pop over for a look-see. I do so love the idea of *rest* yet I see your blog is so much more. So glad I came by for a visit.

See you again!
p.s. my ancestors came from Iowa, Sioux City area.

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

That is a great post! We humans need to rember we only have one earth. And after we ruin this one there is no more. Thanks for the great post.......Julian

summersundays-jw said...

This is so true but yet so frustrating because no one seems to be doing anything about it. The gulf area breaks my heart & that's definitely greed. Just hope Obama really decides to do something now -- if we ever get out of this mess. Have a good weekend & try not to be sad. Jan

turquoisemoon said...

Thank you...I am also so ashamed.
Beautiful post.

Martha Z said...

Here you have a similar theme as my "Watery Wednesday" post, a precious resource that we waste and pollute at our peril.

High Desert Diva said...

I'm with you....sad and frustrated. Sick of hearing from Rush and Palin. But also the people blaming the government.

Makes me think about JFK's speech - "Ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country." Quit blaming and do something!

I just saw a Rachel Maddow episode the other day describing a similar oil leak from 1979. Needless to say, I didn't remember it....although I do vividly remember the Exxon Valdez which was only a couple years later. (But I digress)

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA0wPc9TicA&feature=player_embedded

Worth the time to watch...